Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default XD conversion kits?

Does anyone know if these exist? I have an XD-40 but want a kit for 9mm and one for .45ACP. Any thoughts? If they don't exist, does anyone know if they're in the works?

Thanks
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Erie County)

Default Re: XD conversion kits?

All XD's fit the same holster. So that would make me think that the frames are the same size. Probably the slides as well? Call up Springfield, ask that question. If so just buy a slide and barrel.

(Philadelphia County)

Do you mean .22 conversion kits??

If so, yes, they are either already in the market, or are just about to come out.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Northumberland County)

caliber conversion is not an easy proposition.

When I owned an XD 40 a popular modification was to order a 9mm barrel and install it and use 9mm mags to make it a 2 caliber gun. However IIRC there were some reliability issues with this conversion. The .40 can be converted to a .357sig and vice versa with complete reliability with a simple barrel swap.

The .45acp does use a different frame. It's external dimensions are very close to the original XD but the internals are completely different, and a .45acp mag will not fit a 40 frame.

The issue with caliber conversion is the breech face and extraction. the 9mm is a smaller diameter round from the .40 and .357 so sometimes there are extraction issues.

You may also find that the cost of these conversions is pretty high compared to just buying another pistol. As I haven't looked into this recently I can't comment on prices.

(Centre County)

here is a link for conversion barrels. conversion barrels for XD priced around $160
    I have a .400 corbon conversion for my XD-45C and it just dropped in no fitting required, and it uses the .45 acp magazines.

If you have an XD-40 (service or tactical) EFK makes barrels that convert it to .357 sig or 9mm. The 9mm will require the use of a 9mm magazine but the cost of the barrel and magazine is still a lot cheaper than buying a new gun.

Since the frame is different you cannot convert the XD-40 to .45acp

Hope this helps

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by diputs View Post
    here is a link for conversion barrels. conversion barrels for XD priced around $160
    I have a .400 corbon conversion for my XD-45C and it just dropped in no fitting required, and it uses the .45 acp magazines.

If you have an XD-40 (service or tactical) EFK makes barrels that convert it to .357 sig or 9mm. The 9mm will require the use of a 9mm magazine but the cost of the barrel and magazine is still a lot cheaper than buying a new gun.

Since the frame is different you cannot convert the XD-40 to .45acp

Hope this helps
    It did, very much. Thanks.

A few more questions...

Is .357 SIG a popular cartridge? More or less powerful than .40S&W? More expensive?

Is there a conversion for 10mm that anyone knows of?

Thanks again, folks.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Northumberland County)

.357 SIG is popular among law enforcement. I cannot say whether it is more or less powerful than .40 What it is, is essentially a 9mm bullet in a necked down .40s&W case.

I see no advantage of converting to .357 if you already have a .40

Like all caliber comparisons, opinions will vary as to what is end all be all man stopper.

A 10mm conversion would have to be on the .45acp platform since the round is too long for the 9mm/.40 frame. A barrel change may be possible, but you'd also need a different mag. And I don't think anyone is making one.

I'm pleased that some people have given this fella some good info. From what I know, the .357 sig is a pretty good round, it's meant to mirror the "light loads" from a .357 magnum. Don't get me wrong, it's not a .357 magnum, it is only trying to mirror the loadings for the very lightest bullets of the .357 cartridge family. I know that the bullets are harder to find than the .40 S&W. I'm a member of the XD forum, and I haven't heard of anyone that is making a 10mm kit, nor have I heard of any plans for one.