Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Angry Firearms/2nd Ammenment specific attorney

I am in need of a firearms/2nd ammendment specific attorney, preferably one that practices and specializes in only that area of the law and is himself a strong advocate of same. Located anywhere in the Philadelphia or the neighboring counties.

Here is what happened to me-

I am a former FFL 1 holder, a curios and relics license holder, and have a current concealed carry permit and am an NRA member. I have a squeaky clean record. I went to purchase a particular firearm from a shop in Montgomery County. The item was on back order and they had no idea when it might come in so I ordered it anyway. Meanwhile I called around and found it in stock at a shop in Chester County. I went to buy it and the PICS check rejected me. I was dumfounded, as you no the sales person doesn't tell you why you were rejected. I just wrote it off as a clerical or computer error. In the mean time before I found out the reason for my denial my gun came in at the shop in Montgomery County I went to pick it up and was again denied by PICS. Bear in mind that these two transactions happened within a very short time before I got word from the state police for the reason of the denial. The reason was they said I lied on the purchase application about ever having been "Committed to a mental hospital" I was never "Committed 302'd" I watched my mother slowly die a horrible death from cancer and was terribly depressed I'm an only child my Father died the same way. What actually happened was I voluntarily checked myself into a hospital and they under the new law's reported that to PICS. A couple months later I get a call from the Chester county chief of police saying he had a warrent for my arrest. Montgomery County did absolutley nothing. Facing a Felony and with a public pretender for a attorney, that admitted he new almost nothing about firearms law I took a plea deal to avoid the Felony charge, but still ended up with a M1 misdemeanor on my record wich now precludes me from purchasing or even owning a firearm. Montgomery county never even pulled my carry permit although of course I can't re-new it. On top of that the Chester County P.D. released my arrest story to my local paper including in detail my medical information which is protected by HIPAA Laws.

I feel totally violated an need a really,really, good attorney that knows his stuff. Someone recomended one name William T. Canon who practices in Philly but can't find much info as to whether he's any good or not. Can I please get some recomendations regarding legal help to straighten this mess out.

Thank's for listening-

Shootmore

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Firearms/2nd Ammenment specific attorney

IANAL, but you pleaded guilty. There's not much I think a lawyer can do for you now. The time for that was before pleading.

(Bucks County)

at this point what exactly do you want an attorney to do for you???? you plead guilty and now you're suffering the consequences of your decision. i wish i could recommend someone but i'm not sure there's anything any attorney can do for you to restore your gun rights. if your thinking of suing because your medical info was released then you really don't need an attorney that specializes in the 2nd amendment. good luck

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by shootmore View Post
    Montgomery county never even pulled my carry permit although of course I can't re-new it.
    The LTCF application that you signed stipulated that you are required to notify the Sheriff if you become ineligible to own firearms.
    (c) Form of application and content.--The application for a license to carry a firearm shall be uniform throughout this Commonwealth and shall be on a form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police. The form may contain provisions, not exceeding one page, to assure compliance with this section. Issuing authorities shall use only the application form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police. One of the following reasons for obtaining a firearm license shall be set forth in the application: self-defense, employment, hunting and fishing, target shooting, gun collecting or another proper reason. The application form shall be dated and signed by the applicant and shall contain the following statement:

I have never been convicted of a crime that prohibits me from possessing or acquiring a firearm under Federal or State law. I am of sound mind and have never been committed to a mental institution. I hereby certify that the statements contained herein are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. I understand that, if I knowingly make any false statements herein, I am subject to penalties prescribed by law. I authorize the sheriff, or his designee, or, in the case of first class cities, the chief or head of the police department, or his designee, to inspect only those records or documents relevant to information required for this application. If I am issued a license and knowingly become ineligible to legally possess or acquire firearms, I will promptly notify the sheriff of the county in which I reside or, if I reside in a city of the first class, the chief of police of that city.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Chester County)

I can't recommend an attorney but I would encourage you to keep up your search for one.

If your first lawyer didn't do any work to uncover the true status of your commitment (voluntarily admitted / vs involuntarily committed) and just came to you with the plea that was offered by the DAs office, I gotta hope you could say you had incompetent counsel.

(Chester County)

Deleted with sincere apologies to the OP. I dug up a similar case/story from someone with a far worse record.
    Last edited by Deadpan; April 7th, 2011 at 10:03 AM.

(York County)

Here's the list I've accumulated..... (You may need to check with each one regarding your specific need)...

THE SHOOTERS' BAR - http://home.comcast.net/~dsmjd/tux/d.../lawr_list.htm
    Pennsylvania:

Keith S. Grube Added 3/16/09 Attorney at Law
    2 Penn Center, 1500 JFK Blvd., Ste. 200, Philadelphia, PA 19102
    Phone: (215) 854-4006
    Email: Keith.Grube@comcast.net
    Areas of Practice: Criminal Defense, Expungements, Firearms License (LTCF issues), UFA and NFA.
    Bar admissions: Pennsylvania, New Jersey, US District Court for the District of NJ.
    RKBA Organizational Memberships: NRA Member and Certified Instructor.

Philip G. Kline - GunLawyer001—PAFOA Attorney at Law
    519 Juniper Street, Quakertown, PA 18951
    Phone: (215) 538-4444 Fax: (215) 538-0140
    Areas of practice: NFA issues, NICS denials, zoning, estate admin. & planning, civil litigation, defense of misdemeanors & summary offenses.
    Bar admissions: PA (active) NJ (inactive)
    RKBA Organizational Memberships: NRA member.

David S. Markowitz (Owner of The Shooters' Bar.) Attorney at Law
    Phone: (215) 253-3374 Cell Phone: (610) 389-1724
    Email: dave@davemarkowitz.net
    Websites: http://blogostuff.blogspot.com, http://www.building-tux.com, and http://www.davemarkowitz.net. My Facebook profile. My LinkedIn profile.
    Areas of Practice: Small business counseling. Construction law. Internet and Information Technology Law. Note: I currently practice part-time so I handle transactional matters, not litigation.
    Bar admissions: Pennsylvania, US District Court (Eastern Dist PA), & US Court of Appeals (3rd Circuit)
    RKBA Organizational Memberships: NRA Life Member, Gun Owners of America Life Member.

C. Scott Shields, Esquire
    SHIELDS & HOPPE, LLP
    223 N. Monroe Street, Media, PA 19063
    Phone: 610-892-7777 Fax: 610-892-7525 Cell: 610-864-0699
    Email: sshields@aol.com
    Website: http://www.shieldsandhoppe.com/ and http://www.shieldsforjudge2007.com
    Areas of practice: Criminal/Civil Trial Practice along with heavy emphasis on Constitutional Law litigation (Free Speech; Religious Freedom; Firearms).
    RKBA Organizational Membership: National Rifle Association.

From discussion on PAFOA ----
    Michael P. Gottlieb, Esquire (on PAFOA??)
    Vangrossi & Recchuiti
    319 Swede Street, Norristown, PA 19401
    610-279-4200 (office)
    610-279-4306 (fax )

Fred D. Hummel / Attorney at Law
    111 West Union Street, Punxsutawney, PA 15767
    Phone: 814-938-9166 Fax: 814-938-9160
    fdhlaw@comcast.net
    Criminal, General Practice

J. Michael McCormick, Attorney at Law Updated 3/4/09
    314 Center Avenue, PO Box 64, Verona, (Allegheny County) PA 15147
    Phone: (412) 828-8490
    Internet email address: jmm@mccorlaw.com - Website: http://www.mccorlaw.com
    Areas of practice: Criminal Defense; Civil Litigation; Appellate Courts; Estates; Real Estate; Bankruptcy.
    Bar admissions: Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, Western District Court of Pennsylvania.
    RKBA Organizational Memberships: The Pennsylvania Sportsmen's Association; GOA; NRA.

Quote Originally Posted by ImminentDanger View Post
    . . .

C. Scott Shields, Esquire
    SHIELDS & HOPPE, LLP
    223 N. Monroe Street, Media, PA 19063
    Phone: 610-892-7777 Fax: 610-892-7525 Cell: 610-864-0699
    Sadly, Mr. Shields is no longer with us:

http://articles.philly.com/2011-03-2...iving-accident
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Fayette County)

If you hold a dealers FFL, why did you need to go through a PICS check?
    I thought a FFL dealer could just fax or hand over in person a copy of his FFL and you immediately get the firearm.

Or did things change with that?
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpan View Post
    Is this story about you? If so, your court summary is showing ARD for that case. There were a lot of charges filed against you over the years (if that is you), why don't you run a PATCH check on yourself to find out what is actually on your record.

ETA:http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...ry-permit.html
    Wow, the guy in that article has had many "misunderstandings" with the law. Methinks we'll know if he's the poster based on whether or not he disappears from this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast