Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Indiana County)

Default Police probe two area robberies - Indiana, PA

Police probe two area robberies
    By The Indiana Gazette
    Published: Monday, November 30, 2009 12:40 PM EST

State police have opened investigations into two armed robberies that were reported within 1 mile of each other in southern White Township.

A man robbed the Sheetz store at 525 Ben Franklin Road at about 6:45 a.m. today and fled on foot, according to initial reports from state police at Indiana.

``We were dispatched and troopers responded. ... It appears there was an armed robbery,'' a state police spokesman said.

Troopers at Indiana also reported that a man brandishing a small, black handgun stole an undisclosed amount of money at 6:30 p.m. Saturday from the Comfort Inn, 1350 Indian Springs Road.
    The robber forced a hotel clerk to the floor, took the money and fled the hotel, according to police.

Investigators said they didn't know if the man left in a vehicle or on foot, or in which direction he traveled.

The hotel robbery suspect is a white man about 5-foot-8 with a medium build who wore a stocking over his face, a dark, hooded sweat shirt and tan corduroy pants, according to police.

A description of the suspect in the Sheetz store holdup was not immediately available.
    ---------

I have also heard that Big Lots and the Indiana Mall were hit as well (this is unconfirmed). This guy really needs some fast cash. My buddy is the store manager at Sheetz and got an inside scoop, but someone is robbing stores left and right in Indiana, PA. I hope they catch this guy soon. I think I feel safe enough with my firearm to now carry it chambered. I frequent these places, and I don't want to be the one taking a bullet when this guy decides to get more courageous.

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Police probe two area robberies - Indiana, PA

Quote Originally Posted by XJeffro View Post
    I think I feel safe enough with my firearm to now carry it chambered.
    Statements like that sort of scare me, no offense.

(Beaver County)

lol the snobbery around here is downright astonishing. you read the entire post and everything that is happening in lil old Indiana, and you take THAT away from the post. good for you.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by avizpls View Post
    lol the snobbery around here is downright astonishing. you read the entire post and everything that is happening in lil old Indiana, and you take THAT away from the post. good for you.
    There's a robbery here around once a week... I stopped posting them to this forum a while ago...

I'm a firm believer that if you aren't 100% comfortable with a firearm, you most likely shouldn't carry it... That's all...
    Last edited by mjf; November 30th, 2009 at 04:35 PM.

(Monroe County)

Police probe two area robberies
    By The Indiana Gazette
    Published: Monday, November 30, 2009 12:40 PM EST

State police have opened investigations into two armed robberies that were reported within 1 mile of each other in southern White Township.

A man robbed the Sheetz store at 525 Ben Franklin Road at about 6:45 a.m. today and fled on foot, according to initial reports from state police at Indiana.

``We were dispatched and troopers responded. ... It appears there was an armed robbery,'' a state police spokesman said.

Troopers at Indiana also reported that a man brandishing a small, black handgun stole an undisclosed amount of money at 6:30 p.m. Saturday from the Comfort Inn, 1350 Indian Springs Road.
    The robber forced a hotel clerk to the floor, took the money and fled the hotel, according to police.

Investigators said they didn't know if the man left in a vehicle or on foot, or in which direction he traveled.

The hotel robbery suspect is a white man about 5-foot-8 with a medium build who wore a stocking over his face, a dark, hooded sweat shirt and tan corduroy pants, according to police.

A description of the suspect in the Sheetz store holdup was not immediately available.
    ---------

I have also heard that Big Lots and the Indiana Mall were hit as well (this is unconfirmed). This guy really needs some fast cash. My buddy is the store manager at Sheetz and got an inside scoop, but someone is robbing stores left and right in Indiana, PA. I hope they catch this guy soon. I think I feel safe enough with my firearm to now carry it chambered. I frequent these places, and I don't want to be the one taking a bullet when this guy decides to get more courageous.
    THats a darn lie, everyone knows tyhat whites dont commit any crimes in this country, everone knows that its the blacks, or maybe one of those illegal mexicans, thats bad reporting i say , not true i say.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    Statements like that sort of scare me, no offense.
    Ok. Let me help you feel less scared, since you were not able to pick up on my ability to convey intonation or stress words in plain old text.
    "I am very confident in my abilites to carry and deploy my firearm; therefore, I feel that it is time to start carrying a round in the chamber, in order to defend myself with a more rapid response."
    Cheers.

I think I feel safe enough with my firearm to now carry it chambered. I frequent these places, and I don't want to be the one taking a bullet when this guy decides to get more courageous.
    Having your firearm on you is not going to prevent you taking a bullet if you do not regularly take affirmative steps to avoid it.

Situational awareness is everything. Literally, this is the #1 most important rule of life - be aware of your surroundings and take affirmative steps to reduce the risk of becoming entangled in a situation from which you cannot extract yourself without putting yourself or someone else in jeopardy.

Of course, even good SA is not 100% effective at eliminating risk, but there are dozens of things that I would do, for example, if an armed guy stormed into the Wawa while I was getting my coffee at 4 in the morning, that do NOT involve drawing my firearm.

For example, when I arrive at the Wawa, I am sure to check out the gas pump area to see who is there and what they are doing. Someone who is there, but not pumping gas, could be casing. I also glance across the street at the parking lot, and at the parking lot of the store next door, since it's easy to see them.

Since the Wawa has front and rear parking lots and a rear entrance, a quick circle around the building lets me see if there is anything untoward going on out back, at the expense of about 30 seconds of my time. It also allows me to see what, if any, outside vendors are there, and make note of the brand.

The Wawa also has large front windows, so before I arrive at the parking spot, I look inside the store to see if there is anything to worry about. I do this again when I walk in through the front door.

There are three employees in that store on a given morning at the time I am there. I glance around to make sure the coffee guy is making coffee, the fresh food person is prepping the makeline, and the shift manager is working the cash wrap and/or inventory as usual. I also cross check in my mind that anyone in the store appearing to be an outside vendor matches their delivery vehicle outside. If anyone is acting strangely or is missing, a yellow flag goes up.

The coffee prep area is toward the back of the store near the rear entrance. It has 4 sides, so I always prepare my coffee on the side that allows me to see the front and rear entrances and the cash wrap, and size up anyone entering the store. It also obscures view of me from both locations to a great degree, so someone storming in the back (the most likely entrance for a robbery) is likely going to walk right by without noticing me. My exit strategy from this point is to leave by way of the kitchen/backstock area. The closest exit is the back entrance, but due to the possibility of an armed accomplice waiting back there, another exit is more prudent.

When I am done preparing my coffee, I walk to the cash wrap with my money in hand, and if the shift manager is not at the till, I signal to him that I am ready as I am walking. This minimizes my time just standing there waiting. While he makes change, I glance again out to the front parking lot and gas area to reassess what is going on.

On the way out, I look left and right down the sides of the building and waste no time getting in the car and leaving.

1) Be hyper-aware of what is going on around you
    2) Have a quick exit plan at all times. If you find you cannot develop an exit plan, you are not in a good situation.
    3) If TSHTF, make every attempt to execute your exit plan without getting S on you. Slip out the back. Hide. Avoid armed confrontation if at all possible.
    4) Remember that it is not your job to protect strangers, nor to take steps to involve yourself in an ongoing confrontation between them

Carrying a firearm is not a license to be brave, nor should it be.

(Indiana County)

Ok let me clear this up, because this has been bothering me all day.
    My last two sentences in my original post must have been paraphrased too much for some folks:
    I think I feel safe enough with my firearm to now carry it chambered. I frequent these places, and I don't want to be the one taking a bullet when this guy decides to get more courageous.
    Here is what I was simply trying to say:
    I feel extremely comfortable with my firearm. I carry it every day. I will carry a round chambered. I don't go around looking for armed robberies. I hope myself and my family (or anyone for that matter) are never involved in situtations such as these. I am not trying to be a hero. If someone threatens my life or my family's life with deadly force (whether it's in my home, on the street, or at a Sheetz), I will defend myself. Is hope this is understood.

I have learned a great deal on this forum, and I appreciate the resource. I will make sure I am more clear about my comments in the future.

Here's some thought provoking meat to chew. I went to the range wed., and decided with my Winchester White Box of 100 that I was going to train with a zipped winter heavy carhart jacket, sweatshirt,
    2 rounds per draw, fire 1, reload fire 1.
    goal is under one second, draw and fire...
    GOOD LUCK!!! This was a long day full of fail- as far as 1 second goes!
    I decided I better keep my coat unzipped as much as possible.
    -Remember the Constitution-

Quote Originally Posted by nlcrsn View Post
    Here's some thought provoking meat to chew. I went to the range wed., and decided with my Winchester White Box of 100 that I was going to train with a zipped winter heavy carhart jacket, sweatshirt,
    2 rounds per draw, fire 1, reload fire 1.
    goal is under one second, draw and fire...
    GOOD LUCK!!! This was a long day full of fail- as far as 1 second goes!
    I decided I better keep my coat unzipped as much as possible.
    Or get a coat with snaps instead of a zipper.