Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Selecting an appropriate pistol.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/2091

Too Much Gun
    21-Nov-09 – 14:00 by ToddG

Another common error I see, especially among new shooters or old-but-untrained shooters is that they select a handgun based on caliber or, heaven help us, “stopping power” rather than their ability to shoot the thing properly.

Here is a simple clue for new shooters: a hit with a 9mm is far more effective than a miss with a .45 Auto.

In the photo at left, the shooter has lost control of the gun. Her grip is in the right place, but the gun has come out of it completely. Part of this can be addressed with technique, of course. But why handicap yourself that way?

Someone who needs to fix his grip after every shot, whose hands separate every time the gun goes off, is simply not going to have the control necessary to make rapid accurate hits under stress. This is especially true when shooting on the move, because stabilizing your gun becomes that much more important when your body is adding wobble to the sight picture.

This isn’t a damnation of the .40 or .45, of course. Plenty of people can and do shoot them well. I’ve carried .45s and 357SIGs on and off over the past ten years myself. But especially for new shooters or shooters with subpar hand strength, the effort of fighting a heavily recoiling gun is detrimental to learning proper technique. If your grip isn’t consistent, your hits will not be consistent.

When I hear a below average shooter touting the .4-something pistol he carries, to me it always translates into this: I know I’m a bad shooter, I know I’m going to miss a lot, so I’m trying to make the best of what few hits I’ll get by using a bigger bullet. That’s backwards logic. “I’m not very good, so I’m going to choose a gun that makes me even worse.” Brilliant.

I’ll take more controllability, more speed, and more ammo over a slightly bigger bullet hole every time.

Train hard & stay safe! ToddG

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Selecting an appropriate pistol.

I've posted this before and I'll take the time to post it again.

Remember, handgun rounds are ineffective fight stoppers!

A shooter needs something that allows you to place multiple rounds accurately and quickly into the center of mass (a 6-8” zone); on demand- every time- no exceptions.

Then you must be able to do the same with your strong hand only, then with your weak hand only (hands get shot a lot during shoot outs). Then remember that you will need to do this while on the move and at moving "targets". Oh yeah, better make it multiple moving "targets" while your at it.

Unless you have truly "mastered" the art, the 9mm allows you to reach that level quicker and easier.

Now, if you have "mastered" the art, the bigger bullet gets the nod.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Bucks County)

Shooting at a range, even for me (a 5'8" 145 lb cyclist) any handgun up to and including .44 mag is/was controllable. However, during training (movement, multiple targets) it was pointed out to me by the Insights instructor that during timed drills I was finishing second to the fastest shooter simply because with my .40 I was using more time to reacquire sight picture and get back on target.

I am now moving out of .40 into 9mm entirely for any handgun I'll use for defensive/carry use. I still have other calibers but they're for range and general enjoyment use.

(Bucks County)

.40 was never my caliber, based on target re-aquisition. I've learned that 45acp is more comfortable and performed best for me in this. Given that, I'd feel most comfortable in a fight if I had my AR with me.