Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default First U.S. Official Resigns Over Afghan War

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...st-afghan-war/

First U.S. Official Resigns Over Afghan War

Senior diplomat in Afghanistan said he believes the war is simply fueling the insurgency

WASHINGTON -- A former Marine who fought in Iraq, joined the State Department after leaving the military and was a diplomat in a Taliban stronghold in Afghanistan has become the first U.S. official to resign in protest of the Afghan war, the Washington Post reported early Tuesday.

Matthew Hoh, who describes himself as "not some peacenik, pot-smoking hippie who wants everyone to be in love," said he believes the war is simply fueling the insurgency.

"I have lost understanding of and confidence in the strategic purposes of the United States' presence in Afghanistan," Hoh wrote in his resignation letter, dated Sept. 10 but published early Tuesday. "I have doubts and reservations about our current strategy and planned future strategy, but my resignation is based not upon how we are pursuing this war, but why and to what end."

The move sent ripples all the way to the White House, the paper said, where officials immediately appealed for him to stay out of fear he could become a leading critic.

U.S. Ambassador Karl Eikenberry brought him to Kabul and offered him a job on his senior embassy staff, but Hoh declined. He then flew home and met with Richard Holbrooke, the administration's special representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Holbrooke told the Post he disagreed that the war "wasn't worth the fight," but did agree with much of Hoh's analysis.

"We took his letter very seriously, because he was a good officer," Holbrooke said in an interview with the newspaper. "We all thought that given how serious his letter was, how much commitment there was, and his prior track record, we should pay close attention to him."

The revelation comes as President Obama pledged on Monday not to "rush the solemn decision" to send more troops to battle in Afghanistan as he weighs military options on what to do next in the troubled war.

The administration is debating whether to send tens of thousands more troops to the country, while the Afghan government is moving to hold a Nov. 7 runoff election between President Hamid Karzai and challenger Abdullah Abdullah. The runoff comes after complaints by international monitors of fraudulent voting in the first election.

ABC News, citing unnamed sources, reported Monday evening that Obama will likely announce his decision for Afghanistan between that nation's runoff presidential election on Nov. 7, and the president's departure for Tokyo, Japan, on Nov. 11.

"I won't risk your lives unless it is absolutely necessary," Obama told service men and women at Naval Air Station Jacksonville on Monday. He promised a "clear mission" with defined goals and the equipment needed to get the job done.

Obama, who is in the process of weighing options put forward by the Pentagon that include various levels of increased troops, spoke of the latest example of the dangers and sacrifices there -- helicopter crashes that killed 14 Americans in the deadliest day for the U.S. mission in Afghanistan in more than four years.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    And yes, much like the thread I posted a few days ago, I think we need more people like this guy.

And yes, I am expecting the same abuse for making this statement because this time, philyd2 will probably 'give a crap'.

Let's keep it constructive and well lubed...
    Last edited by buster2209; October 27th, 2009 at 01:50 PM.

Default Re: First U.S. Official Resigns Over Afghan War

I think we need more people like this guy.
    I agree. Some people are catching on to whats going on.

(Allegheny County)

The resignation letter is online, and it's a good read. Some stuff we've been saying on PAFOA, and strangely this high-level diplomat agrees. Maybe AJG should condescendingly suggest some books for the nice diplomat to read.

(Westmoreland County)

Didn't anyone watch Rambo III?
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Bucks County)

Inbound +rep so you don't think I was trying to abuse you but the previous questions I think remain valid. Most just seem to search for stories that agree with their world view, which is fine but there are tons more officers over there that think exactly opposite than this guy so what makes one right and the other wrong? I mean, other than they agree with you

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    Inbound +rep so you don't think I was trying to abuse you but the previous questions I think remain valid. Most just seem to search for stories that agree with their world view, which is fine but there are tons more officers over there that think exactly opposite than this guy so what makes one right and the other wrong? I mean, other than they agree with you
    PM sent

ten characters

(Bucks County)

Maybe if Obama spent less time golfing he would have some time for the General to discuss the Afghanistan War. Crazy but just a thought.
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by buster2209 View Post
    PM sent

ten characters
    No worries buddy. We are just a bunch of old women talkin here. Feel free to swing back at any here. 99.9% of us don't take it personally at all and some even like the abuse. The other .1%? F'em!

Cheers as you blokes like to say

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by theo View Post
    Maybe if Obama spent less time golfing he would have some time for the General to discuss the Afghanistan War. Crazy but just a thought.
    Ironic that Bush was slammed for this sort of thing, but it's fine for Our Dear Leader. isn't it? Unfortunately it's just as much bullshit as when the left was crying about Bush.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    there are tons more officers over there that think exactly opposite than this guy...
    There are lots who think the same, too; I have no idea how many go each way. But I'm sure there are plenty, so OK...

... so what makes one right and the other wrong? I mean, other than they agree with you
    This guy also quit his job--he put his livelihood where his mouth is. McChrystal, on the other hand, apparently wants to keep his job. And keeping his job means, among other things, not pissing off the administration, and not looking like a failure. So unless he's an idiot, he ABSOLUTELY MUST say, "I've got this war all sewed up--if only those p*ssies over there would untie my hands and let me win it." He has no choice. And when he fails, he has a ready-made excuse: "those p*ssies over there tied my hands."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast