Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default Suggest some reading; I have total access to all laws and secondary materials for 3hr

I have three hours to practice my search skills and grab some good legal reading, as I have pretty much all the law of all the states and federal government available to me as well as practice and legal-philosophical material, filed briefs/motions, etc.

Suggest some materials that I can't readily track and read (for free) from a Google search that is worth reading as it relates to gun-rights jurisprudence.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Suggest some reading; I have total access to all laws and secondary materials for

Quote Originally Posted by MDJschool View Post
    I have three hours to practice my search skills and grab some good legal reading, as I have pretty much all the law of all the states and federal government available to me as well as practice and legal-philosophical material, filed briefs/motions, etc.

Suggest some materials that I can't readily track and read (for free) from a Google search that is worth reading as it relates to gun-rights jurisprudence.
    How about stuff relating to the Lautenberg Act, in regards to civil complaints. I'm trying to understand how it's possible to suspend someone's civil rights with a PFA without so much as a misdemeanor conviction.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Suggest some reading; I have total access to all laws and secondary materials for

Quote Originally Posted by mollymayhem82 View Post
    How about stuff relating to the Lautenberg Act, in regards to civil complaints. I'm trying to understand how it's possible to suspend someone's civil rights with a PFA without so much as a misdemeanor conviction.
    The PFA procedure is deemed sufficient for due process purposes. Now that Heller and McDonald have confirmed keep and bear as constitutional rights, it may well raise the question as to whether those procedures and standards of proof are sufficient anymore.

Back to the thread topic . . . For reading materials and only three hours, that's a tough one. Since the purpose of the exercise is to develop your research skills, I'd suggest picking a specific topic and drilling into it as deeply as your current skills and the short time frame allows. I can't come up with an easy suggestion for you as I don't know exactly where your interests lie.

As a general topic to just throw out there, "what procedures and remedies exist for any John Q. Public to sue or otherwise bring the coercive power of the state (as in either lawsuit or prosecution) to bear against politicians who pass local laws in contravention of the protections of state laws, in the context of explicit state premption?" And I mean going beyond what has already been done -- invalidating the local law as in Philly -- are there additional remedies to make it more "painful" for local politicians to keep grandstanding with illegal laws?
    Last edited by Philadelphia; October 23rd, 2011 at 08:11 PM.

(Dauphin County)

My 3 hours of access was on June 18th, 2010. I can't even remember where I was or why I had that available to me, off hand...

(McKean County)

Well it's only been 11,500 hours since then....
    Marty near God's Country. Making good people defenseless doesn’t make bad people harmless.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by MDJschool View Post
    My 3 hours of access was on June 18th, 2010. I can't even remember where I was or why I had that available to me, off hand...
    Lol -- oops! I don't know how this zombie thread got unearthed.