Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Need some help with a pistol grip

Well, first of all, I'd like to say that I've been comin' to this website for some time, but this is my first time posting here.. so I'd like to thank ya for lookin' in on my question. I'm very proud to live in a state that is so dedicated to the right to bear arms.

Anyway, I purchased a Mossberg 500 tactical cruiser a few weeks ago. Very pleased with it. However, I purchased it with a pistol grip attached to it.. not a problem, but I want to replace it with a stock similar to this one. Increasingly annoying is that without taking the current grip off, I can not disassemble the weapon.

So, I go to take the grip off and run into a problem.. it won't come off. Haha. I purchased the weapon new, and this is the factory installed grip. It has a rather large screw on the rear of the grip which is supposed to be removed with an allen wrench. Writing Mossberg, they would tell me nothing more than it is to be removed with an allen wrench. I've tried a number of different wrenches, power drills.. I've tried to get it off with basically everything short of a pnuematic drill. I'm really at a loss that I can't figure this out. Is there maybe a trick I'm missing? Or should I head to a gunsmith? Anyone had a similar problem to this before?

Hopefully someone can give me a hand with this, because I'm pretty stuck on it. I'd certainly appreciate it.

Thanks

J
    Last edited by TheDoc; February 25th, 2007 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Typos

(Berks County)

Default Re: Need some help with a pistol grip

Wish you were closer to me, I probably have every darn size of allen wrench known to man, standard and metric.

Most shotgun grips and stocks usually have just the one bolt holding them on, seeing as it is new, it may be very tight. If you are not sure of the proper size of allen or can't tell for sure you may want to just bring it to a reputable shop or smith in your area. You don't want to bugger up the head of the bolt with the wrong size wrench.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Philadelphia County)

Oh no, I mean.. I'm very sure that I've got the right sized bits and wrenches for it.. and I mean, that's largely what makes it so frustrating.

I guess I'm just gonna have to check out a shop. I mean, I've honestly applied so much pressure to it that I'm afraid of bending or breaking something.

Appreciate the reply though.

(Berks County)

AHhhhhh OK...(smacks forehead)

Seeing as it is a Mossberg option and they installed it, I have no idea how tight they put her on there, or if they used some kind of thread locking compound on the bolt (loctite).

Just to be on the safe side I would take it to a shop.

Oh and ...Welcome to the PAFOA!
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Delaware County)

Also check out the Mesa tactical stocks for that gun they are a little pricey but sweet!!!! Much better quality and material plus the option of adding optics and shell holders www.mesatactical.com
    Last edited by JIMMYC308; July 11th, 2007 at 05:52 PM.
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Bucks County)

Hmmm, thinking back on Engine shop class, some things to do if you have run into a bolt that was intalled by that factory and is super tight or rusty. Heat is one of the main things, Heat makes things expand ever so slightly to make it easier to come undone. Granted you cant take a blow torch to it, but try a heat gun on it. Also "penetrating oils" such as WD40 works well. Let it sit and come back in 5 min to try, its most likely just in place really tight.
    Check out "Knoxx" shotgun stocks. They are made for recoil reducing, and for a 12ga its worth it Plus they have a style almost identical to the one you posted. They get rave reviews.
    Drakin
    Life and Liberty, Freedom for all.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    Wish you were closer to me, I probably have every darn size of allen wrench known to man, standard and metric.

Most shotgun grips and stocks usually have just the one bolt holding them on, seeing as it is new, it may be very tight. If you are not sure of the proper size of allen or can't tell for sure you may want to just bring it to a reputable shop or smith in your area. You don't want to bugger up the head of the bolt with the wrong size wrench.
    Yes, do NOT STRIP the bolt head, once that strips forget about trying to take it off without scratching your gun. Be very carefull.
    Life and Liberty, Freedom for all.

(Monroe County)

They are tight. Don't be afraid to use some force.

We put ATI stocks on 40 Mossbergs for a couple PD's a few weeks back and some of the pistol grips were sooo tight it took 2 of us to get them loose.

Rich W.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoc View Post
    Oh no, I mean.. I'm very sure that I've got the right sized bits and wrenches for it.. and I mean, that's largely what makes it so frustrating.

I guess I'm just gonna have to check out a shop. I mean, I've honestly applied so much pressure to it that I'm afraid of bending or breaking something.

Appreciate the reply though.
    It might take two people to do the deed. First, use some heat if you have a soldering iron to warm the screw/bolt iif not then spray some break free or WD40 in the area of the screw and let it soak for 30 minutes. Get a guy to help, use a box wrench to get some torque over the hex wrench.

If still in doubt send me an email and I'll offer my blacksmith skills.

Best regards,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007

(Allegheny County)

try turning it the other way, usually the easiest way to break loose a stuck bolt is to try and tighten it.
    Saiga 7.62 AK, Yugo SKS, Glock 23C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast