Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default need some .22 help please...

I picked up a Marlin mod 60 off a fellow member here a couple days back.
    I got it for my son to plink with and get comfortable with shooting. I bought him some cheap plinking ammo.

But my question is.

I want to order some ammo for myself for it and I was just wondering if .22 Hornet and .22 FMJ will work in it also, or does it have to be .22LR ?

This is truelly the first .22 rifle I have ever had, I'm an EBR kida guy..

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I just don't know and figured I'd ask..

Thanks.
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: need some .22 help please...

It should say on the side of the barrel what type of ammo you may use. For that particular gun you can always use 22LR and MAYBE 22 shorts or 22 longs (check the barrel before doing this, as I'm not sure if the Model 60 allows for it). If the barrel has 22 S-L-LR stamped on it, you can use shorts, longs, and long rifle rounds. You won't be able to fire 22 Hornets or 22 Magnums since they are larger cartridges and won't fit in the chamber (don't try to force them in either; the 22 Magnum IS close to the same size as a 22LR). If it were me, I'd buy a brick of Federal American Eagle 22LR and just go have some fun with the kid. Plus, 22LR will save you alot of money in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Strapped View Post
    I picked up a Marlin mod 60 off a fellow member here a couple days back.
    I got it for my son to plink with and get comfortable with shooting. I bought him some cheap plinking ammo.

But my question is.

I want to order some ammo for myself for it and I was just wondering if .22 Hornet and .22 FMJ will work in it also, or does it have to be .22LR ?

This is truelly the first .22 rifle I have ever had, I'm an EBR kida guy..

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I just don't know and figured I'd ask..

Thanks.

No its not a dumb question, Now ur VERY lucky you didnt try to jam one of those in there or ud have a piece of breech lodged in ur gray matter.....Now look at ur barrel it should say what caliber it is....ok now only put that caliber in that rifle....So if it says "22 Long Rifle" only put "22 Long Rifle" in it.

It would be best if you did a firearms safty course, to learn about these type of things and dnt worrie when i was 12 i put a 22lr round in a 22 air rifle...lol

(Monroe County)

Thanks guys....

I have extensive firearms training and combat experience, I just never owned a .22 before, neither pistol or rifle..

I kept seeing all these diff .22 loads and I wasnt sure if they were some kind of upgraded newer type loads or what..

After doing some homework last night I reliazed that they were not compatible, I ended up ordering 1500 stingers, they seemed to be about the best I could find in .22LR

Once again thanks for your time guys.. Much appreciated..
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

Your going to have a blast with the rifle. Especially watching your kid. No huge impacts or destroyed targets but lots of joyful hits real cheap and real easy.

Before you order 1500 Stingers you might want to try a box before you buy 1500. A friend has a model 60 and between the 2 of us we have around 20 .22s. With only one exception the Stringers didn't shoot accurately in any of them. The only exception was a Jennings J22 pistol actually shot better with the Stingers. With standard 22lr loads we couldn’t keep 7 shots on a piece of notebook paper at 7 yds. The Stinger held all 7 on the paper. It was designed to use the Stingers.

If you want better performance on small game the bulk cheap stuff does fine for rabbits and squirrels. Ground hogs I use a high velocity 40gr hp. They shoot better in my .22s and the performance after the hit is just as good if not better than the 32gr Stinger. The CCI mini-mag .22lr is great.

If you want better performance on paper all of the target loads are standard velocity. Pick up some Federal Gold Metal Match and if you really want to go for it pick up some Federal Gold Metal Ultra Match.

Good Luck!
    Walt

Yeah a get brick of CCI S.V. gd stuff

(Armstrong County)

dont by a brick of anything just yet, all though CCI std vel works in jsut about everything.
    try to find as many different $2-5 50rd boxes as you can find/willing to by and try different ammo to see what your gun likes the best.

Depending on your range or where you are shooting try something fun for the kid. After he gets the hang of it by punchin holes in paper, make it fun. get a few apples or pears and them put on a stick. kids love to see stuff blow apart into chunks, heck i still get a kick out of it. ice works great too. cut the top off a pop can, fill it, freeze it, let it melt a little so you can get the ice out and let the litte guy blast away.

(Chester County)

Use "High Velocity" .22 LR My model 60 loved CCI Mini-Mags, and did fine with Remington Golden Bullets. Avoid "Hyper Velocity". "Standard Velocity" is safe, but may fail to slam the bolt back hard enough to cycle the action properly. Often "Standard Velocity" will run fine, but if you encounter cycling problems switch back to "High Velocity" and see if the problem goes away. You're going to love the 60. And check out rimfirecentral.com for tons of info.

(Chester County)

Watch out for Stingers. They have longer cases than normal 22lr, and can cause issues in some guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast