Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default So... What's your opinion on ACT mags?

Just as the title says. The reason I'm asking is because I've really only heard good things about these magazines. However, I have only had one experience with them, and it was so negative it turned me off of them for life.

My RIA 1911 came with an ACT mag when I bought it. Right off the bat, it had issues feeding hollow point ammunition. Would not feed HP's most of the time, especially if they were a particularly wide-mouthed HP. I wrote this off at first as simply being because the gun was inexpensive (for a 1911) and that I just needed to tweak the feed ramp. I later found this to be false, as the gun feeds any HP I give it with literally every other mag I've tried so far.

That wasn't it, though. I could have chalked that up as "Well, maybe the complany just doesn't have the best design for a 1911 mag. I'm sure they're decently built." Nope.

The gun (and mag) were only a few months old when one day at the ranged, I loaded up and started shooting. The first two shots were fine. On the third, the magazine blew apart. Literally. The bumper came flying off, I never found it. The spring came shooting out, bounced off the ground, and went off somewhere into the trees. Never found that either. The follower, and my remaining ammunition, all dropped out of the gun, leaving an empty metal magazine "shell" in my gun. I decided right then and there that I would never own another ACT mag. No matter how many people tell me they're fine, first impressions are hard to forget, and they will always have that stigma to me. I will always wonder if that ACT mag is going to randomly blow apart and dump my rounds at my feet when I need them the most.
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Washington County)

Default Re: So... What's your opinion on ACT mags?

My S&W 1911 came with two ACT mags that have functioned flawlessly so far. The only mags I have trouble with are the stamped Springfield full size mags. They don't feed even ball half the time.

In the close to 2000 rounds through my Smith with the two ACTs making up half of that shooting, not a problem and would trust them in a self defense situation.

Snake, that's some crazy stuff right there. I have never heard of ACT mags but I'm with you on the first impression deal. Unthinkable situation to say the least. I'm glad you were not injured by the ticking time bomb that was in your hands.

Best to you and yours.

CL

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyC View Post
    My S&W 1911 came with two ACT mags that have functioned flawlessly so far. The only mags I have trouble with are the stamped Springfield full size mags. They don't feed even ball half the time.

In the close to 2000 rounds through my Smith with the two ACTs making up half of that shooting, not a problem and would trust them in a self defense situation.
    See, this is the sort of stuff I usually hear. And I'm sure that 99.9% of the ACT mags you buy will function similarly. But put youself in my shoes; You've never owned an ACT mag before. And in the first few months of its use, it simply falls apart in the gun. I didn't mistreat it. In fact, the main part was still all shiny, had a nice blued finish and looked brand new after it failed. After an experience like that, I could never feel confident with one. No, thank you. In fact, since then, I much prefer to use Chip McCormick mags or other types that are welded shut.
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Washington County)

They were definitely reliable for me, but I am not a fan of the base pad and prefer the classic Wilson Combat mags in my carry guns. Just personal preference, I suppose.

You gotta do what you gotta do. I don't think I'd buy anymore ACTs simply because I prefer the Wilsons, but they haven't failed yet.

(Northampton County)

My ACT mag didnt feed my RIA 1911 properly either, tho it didnt break. It feeds my brothers Kimber with no problems. I also disliked the bottom bumper piece, so I gave it to my bro and stick with my cheapo mags for the range and chip mccormicks for carry.
    You may find me dead in a ditch one day. But by God, I'll be lying in a pile of brass.