Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Why do people bash cheap holsters?

I bought an IWB holster the other day. It was one of those Uncle Mike's universal holsters. I got it because of the warm weather coming up, lack of serious cash, and the fact that I really have no idea why I should spend $100 bucks on a good holster when the $14 dollar one I bought does just as fine. It's comfortable. It fits my Glock nicely. Holds on tight, and has a good trigger gaurd. What else does one need? Most importantly, it conceals well with just a T-shirt on. Not so with my custom OWB holster.

Default Re: Why do people bash cheap holsters?

I can only assume you are either new to carry or don't carry often. Cheapn' out on a holster can sometimes only be quantified through experience. I hope it works out for you.
    FUCK BIDEN

For a field holster, or around the house, Uncle Mikes is good stuff, and will last longer than you'd think. I've got a couple more than 20 years old, still perfectly functional. Thing I use them most for is as a standby until I can get a better holster when I get a new gun, or for carrying in the woods.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I bought an IWB holster the other day. It was one of those Uncle Mike's universal holsters. I got it because of the warm weather coming up, lack of serious cash, and the fact that I really have no idea why I should spend $100 bucks on a good holster when the $14 dollar one I bought does just as fine. It's comfortable. It fits my Glock nicely. Holds on tight, and has a good trigger gaurd. What else does one need? Most importantly, it conceals well with just a T-shirt on. Not so with my custom OWB holster.
    Nothing wrong with top-o-the-line gear, but some cats are "gear queers" about every damn thing. I carry a Kahr PM45 w/ factory tritiums ($800 gun) in a $14 Uncle Mikes sidekick because it works well. That's all I care about, really. I own "better" IWB holsters that I could use, but they don't conceal as well as the little cheap one.

--Rob

(Montgomery County)

because they end up costing you money.

I learned a great many years ago to buy a good quality holster, over the cheap nylon/leather/plastic POS holsters for several reasons:

1. they allow moisture to wick directly to your guns finish
    2. they absorb sweat, skin cells, and eventully smell like an old sweat sock.
    3. washing the old holster works for as little while, but eventually it must be replaced (sometimes several times a year)
    4. the lose shape quickly, and fail to support the gun properly.
    5. they make it difficult to reholster the gun
    6. retention of the gun with cheap POS holsters is lousy, and unsafe

If you buy several nylon cheapos times as they wear out, you find that you end up spending the same, or more, than if you had bought a quality leather, and or synthetic material holster.

i still have several 1911 and such holsters that are made of leather by Desantis and bianchi, that i bought in the early 90s, and they still look new, or if not new, they are still in one piece and are perfect for use.

cheap costs in the long run, buy quality once, not crap 4 or 5 times.
    Last edited by JayBell; March 17th, 2008 at 12:19 AM. Reason: spelling
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Lebanon County)

There are as many answers to your question as there are people, I'm quite satisfied with the 40.00, 34.00 & 10.00 holsters I have, they are secure and safe IMO.

(Westmoreland County)

Smile Re: Why do people bash cheap holsters?

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    If it works, it works, as long as it doesn't break the bank!

I've used about every brand of nylon holsters out there in 20 + yrs & really never found one that was sub-standard.

U might have to modify this or that, maybe not, but that is why they are called "Cheepies" by the rich folks that can afford the top $$ stuff!

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    because they end up costing you money.

I learned a great many years ago to buy a good quality holster, over the cheap nylon POS holsters for several reasons:
    I agree that POS holsters suck. I disagree on the definition of "quality". To me, high quality is what does the job best. If it's a $14 holster, fine. If it's a $75 holster, also fine.

Many of the same comments can be made about "cheap plastic" kydex holsters. Anyone care to defend the position that Kydex is inferior to leather these days, especially for duty or competition gear

My current everyday carry is the Uncle Mike's sidekick. Near as I can tell, it is neoprene coated with nylon inside and something "grippier" outside, very much like the DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster (also great, btw). Works well IWB, clip under the belt, very secure when worn properly. For the money, I'll take one for every gun I own.

--Rob

(Northampton County)

I don't bash them, nor will I own one. If you want to use them, go ahead. I'll keep my name on the wait lists of the top makers because good leather is what I want.

(Erie County)

I use an Uncle Mike's Sidekick IWB holster every day of my life. It's perfect for me, conceals well and fits my body. At any position on my waist, it does fine. I think it cost me $15?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast