Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Basic Tactical Pistol

F.I.R.E. is sponsoring a 3-day basic pistol course in Pittsburgh on June 6-7-8. There are five slots left as of this posting. The course description is as follows:
    -----------------
    Friday June 6 through Sunday June 8, 2008

This course is designed for people who have not previously taken a full course of formal instruction on the deployment of hand guns for personal defense, as well as those who want to "brush up." It will be held at the Pitcairn-Monroeville Sportsman’s Club, 25 min. East of Pittsburgh. Topics to be covered include:

1) Gun Handling and Presentation. Weapons checks; proper presentation from holsters; “eyes off” manipulation and handling of pistols, including clearance of jams and stoppages; correct stance; sight picture and marksmanship techniques appropriate to defensive (as opposed to sport or target) shooting.

2) Basic firing positions. Including introduction to tactical employment of them.

3) Mind set and the psychology of armed combat.

4) Characteristics, tactical advantages and limitations of pistol ammunition. Includes research data on external ballistics and wound ballistics, a review of currently available ammunition and comparison of hand gun cartridges to rifle and shotgun ammunition.

5) Introduction to low-light techniques. One night session is part of the course.

6) A review of current Pa. law on the use of deadly force and concealed carry. (By an attorney.)

Cost: $385. This includes range fees, targets, range supplies and handouts. Students to provide their own ammunition, personal gear and meals. (Members of the host club receive $25.00 off.)

Course format: Lectures (approximately 5 hrs., mostly on the range), and live-fire exercises (approximately 18 hrs.). Participants will need a minimum of 600 rounds of ammunition. Certificate of completion provided.

Instructor: The instructor will be Giles Stock. Mr. Stock served with the Phoenix, Arizona Police Dept. for 20 years, the last seven of which he was a sergeant and the training supervisor for their SWAT unit. He was responsible for certification of all public firing ranges in Phoenix (under police auspices). Mr. Stock has instructed at the Gunsite Training Center since 1981, where he is a Rangemaster for pistol, rifle, carbine and shotgun. He is a Simunitions certified instructor and a Surefire certified Low Light Instructor trainer. A 3-time winner of the “Police Olympics” in revolver, and now retired from the police department, he works full-time as a weapons instructor and product development consultant in the firearms industry. Range assistance will be provided by NRA certified instructors.

Class size: Enrollment limited to 12 students. Last day to enroll is 30 days before first day of class.

Prerequisites: You must be at least 18 years old. Proof of no criminal history is required.

Equipment Requirements

The following equipment is REQUIRED, or you cannot participate in this course:

• Ear protection and eye protection. Eye protection must be clear for the night session.

• Hat or cap with baseball-style bill. This is to keep ejected brass from your pistol or elsewhere on the firing line from falling between your eyewear and your eye, burning you. This is important.

• 600 rounds of ammunition. No tracer, incendiary or frangible rounds.

• Three magazines (Two speed-loaders with carrying pouch for revolvers).

• Holster. This should be a substantial holster which attaches firmly to a belt, and holds the pistol in place. The holster must permit you to get a firm grip on the weapon with your strong-side hand without removing the weapon from the holster, such that it is not necessary to adjust your grip after drawing the pistol from the holster. Holsters with flaps that cover the weapon or straps which retain the weapon are not appropriate unless the flap or strap can be removed (police duty gear is an exception). Hand guns may not be carried anywhere except in a proper holster (no "pocket pistols," "back-up guns" in ankle holsters or the like.)

• Holster/carrier for extra magazine or speed-loaders.

• A flashlight, equipped to either remain on constantly or be operated by a pressure-switch that turns the light on when the button is depressed and shuts off when the button is released. Extra batteries and a back-up light are recommended. We do not recommend you spend money on a good tactical light before the course, unless you are already well enough informed to know what is useful and what is not. Take the course with what you have, learn what is useful, and then make more informed purchases.

Weapons must be .38 caliber/9 mm., or larger. Hand guns in .22, .25, .32, .380, 7.62 x 19 and similar light calibers are generally ineffective in stopping a gun fight, and are of insufficient power even to complete some course exercises. Such sub-caliber weapons are not permitted in our courses.

Pistols should be serviceable as duty weapons or practical for concealed carry. Single action revolvers and derringers are impractical for this course. Your pistol or revolver may get dirty or be dropped on the ground, so please do not bring any valuable antiques or show-guns. Pistols outfitted with scopes, red-dot sights, extended magazines, compensators which extend the barrel and similar “race-gun” doo-dads are impractical and detract from students’ course experience, and therefore are not recommended.

The following equipment is RECOMMENDED. Although you may proceed in the course without these things, experience has shown they will enhance your experience:

• Soft drinks or water to drink while on the range. No alcohol of any kind is to be consumed within eight hours of the commencement of any course session.

• Second firearm. A second firearm of the type you intend to train with is also a good idea, if you own or can borrow a second one. Firearms do break, and we cannot stop the course to make repairs. Even if we had time, parts may not be available, and many repairs cannot be accomplished in the field.

• Camera.

• Gloves (either shooting gloves or light work gloves).

For Course Details, Directions, Equipment Requirements and Enrollment Materials:

• Visit www.fireinstitute.org

• Call: (412) 381-8035, leave your name and address, and materials will be mailed to you.

• Write to: FIRE Institute, 2130 Fox Way, Pittsburgh, PA 15203.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Basic Tactical Pistol

hey tony...

did you guys get my app for this course?

thanks.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    hey tony...

thanks.
    +1 on that. I sent mine in last week.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post
    +1 on that. I sent mine in last week.
    cool. looks like we will meet in person.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    hey tony...

thanks.
    I don't know. The mailing address is Pete's Law office and he does not regularly send me updates on enrollment.

We send out confirmation letters about two weeks before the class. You should receive a letter the week of memorial day.

(Westmoreland County)

This class is full.

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Aww, shoot. I was hoping to get in on this (just waiting for my tax money to come in).

Any chance of another basic tactical pistol course happening this summer?

(Westmoreland County)

Looks like I will be seeing you guys there. Hey, at least I'll get to shoot with LRT again!

See you and Delta there!
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by BearTitan View Post
    Looks like I will be seeing you guys there. Hey, at least I'll get to shoot with LRT again!

See you and Delta there!
    yeah...it has been far too long my friend.

are you taking the class or helping to instruct?

in either case, i am now looking forward to it even more than i was before.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
    Aww, shoot. I was hoping to get in on this (just waiting for my tax money to come in).

Any chance of another basic tactical pistol course happening this summer?
    i *think* they are planning to have another one in late summer/early fall.

but, i don't know that for sure...i just seem to remember reading it on their website or on some post here on PAFOA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast