Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Mercer County)

Default Shipping Primers

What is the best way to ship primers?

(Centre County)

Default Re: Shipping Primers

Primers do not fall under the same regs as ammo. They are considered hazardous and have to be shipped as such. That's why you pay extra when you buy from Natchez, midwayUSA, etc.

Primers are not eligible for the limited quantity exception in 49CFR. They are classed as a Division 1.4S explosive material and cannot be reclassed as ORM-D. They must ship as an explosive with all the required markings and must have hazardous material shipping papers. They do not need explosive labels on the package.

Division 1.4 consists of explosives that present a minor explosion hazard. The explosive effects are largely confined to the package and no projection of fragments of appreciable size or range is to be expected. An external fire must not cause virtually instantaneous explosion of almost the entire contents of the package.

Then Division 1 is subdivided:

Description of substances or article to be classified:
    S:

Substance or article so packed or designed that any hazardous effects arising from accidental functioning are limited to the extent that they do not significantly hinder or prohibit fire fighting or other emergency response efforts in the immediate vicinity of the package.

To ship via FedEx or UPS you would need to call their hazardous materials shipping department to get exactly how you would pack them and mark the container.

Shipping primers is not easy at all if you don't have all the information and in some cases the training required to do the packaging. C FR49 Part 173.60 gives the General packaging requirements and Part 173.62 gives the Specific packaging requirements. Companies that ship primers, be it the manufacturers or the wholesalers/retailers have the training required along with all the permits, etc. needed. It is much more involved than what I described above. My main point was to be that unless you have the requirement to be constantly shipping this type of material, it just isn't worth the time and effort.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; April 22nd, 2009 at 11:49 AM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lawrence County)

Actually it's even more complicated than that, you need packages that have been tested and marked in accordance with the 49CFR to ship hazmat, in addition you may have to be trained also. I know you need proof of training if you work for a company that handles hazmat but I'm unsure about an individual shipping it himself.

Best advice, don't ship them.

(Centre County)

As jerkin said it is a very complicated matter and I added that to my post. Thanks jerkin, we want to have as comprehensive post possible so as to not lead people astray.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

I say don't ship them! sell them locally if you're trying to get rid of them...more of a hassle than its worth.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Lehigh County)

I looked into selling some primers on gunbroker, but after looking into the regs. to ship it decided not to. I bet 99% on there are doing so illegaly.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    Actually it's even more complicated than that, you need packages that have been tested and marked in accordance with the 49CFR to ship hazmat
    Correct, it's called POP - Performance Oreinted Packaging and the container must be tested and marked accordingly with a UN or NA ID number with the producer having filed the testing results with the DOT.

It is actually an improvement over some of the older regulations.

1.4 to 1.6 explosives are table two items requiring only a million dollars of liability insurance.

1.1 to 1.3 have a greater detonation hazard and are table one requiring 5 million in coverage AND a Hazardous Materials Safety permit which is only issued to carriers with a satisfactory safety rating. Same as 'Route Controlled' Radioactive materials and Toxic that have a 'inhallation hazard'...

We had a customer slip an inhallation hazard into a load & the driver failed to report it. Naturally we were stopped for an roadside inspection and it ended up being the reason for a compliance audit. Even though we stopped hauling for this customer and showed proof that we were not scheduled to transport this stuff, we were fined $6,600.00 for not having the required insurance & the Safety Permit...you don't want to get caught...

I'm now un-employed over this and the additional $15,000.00 in fines, and a conditional safety rating for 'false logs' though management wouldn't let me do anything about the logs...greedy bastards.

Anyone know of a company looking for a Safety Director?
    Last edited by wis bang; April 22nd, 2009 at 05:27 PM.