Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Red dots and astigmatism

I recently discovered i have an astigmatism in both eyes that makes red dot sights look jagged.

I just saw this today. The trick he does toward the end with the rear sight and the red dot is amazing! I tried it and it left me with a very clear dot (although smaller field of view).

-Zach

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Red dots and astigmatism

That almost completely defeats the purpose of a red dot though.

My dots aren't crisp either, but it doesn't need to be.
    Now if it were something drastic, it may be a big deal to me, but it's not, so I live with it for now.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lehigh County)

I've had bad astigmatism most of my life. I'll check this video out later.
    Thanks for posting

This solves the red dot astigmatism problem - Primary Arms Cyclops 1X Prism Scope. Have one on my AK. The ACSS reticle is a bit on the small side, but it works well.

Same with this one - Primary Arms 2x Prism Scope. Don't have one yet, but I have the 2.5X version. Also works well. The 2X version is a good bit more expensive than the 2.5X version.

Curious about the Swampfox Blade. I like the reticle a bit better and from what I understand, it's not as small as the PA ACSS reticle. Bit pricey, but getting good reviews and there are discount codes floating around. Swampfox also has special pricing for LE and military.

(Bucks County)

Yes! I never had a red dot until a few years ago, and was disappointed that it looked more like a comma than a dot.

I saw the video above...or one similar a couple years ago and was amazed that it worked. I currently only use glasses for reading, etc...and never knew I had an astigmatism. On two of my rifles, I can co-witness...on another there are no iron sites.

Thanks Ronin...gonna look into your links and pass to a friend.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    This solves the red dot astigmatism problem - Primary Arms Cyclops 1X Prism Scope. Have one on my AK. The ACSS reticle is a bit on the small side, but it works well.

Same with this one - Primary Arms 2x Prism Scope. Don't have one yet, but I have the 2.5X version. Also works well. The 2X version is a good bit more expensive than the 2.5X version.

Curious about the Swampfox Blade. I like the reticle a bit better and from what I understand, it's not as small as the PA ACSS reticle. Bit pricey, but getting good reviews and there are discount codes floating around. Swampfox also has special pricing for LE and military.
    wls15 gets you 25% off swampfox

(Bucks County)

I noticed some red dots are better than others for me. Some are real fuzzy/blobby and some brands are crisp. Some once I open both eyes and focus past the dot it gets clear. My holosun green 510c is super Crisp and my mro is a blur. I wonder if the eye doctor can give me glasses to fix my problem.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Snuff View Post
    I noticed some red dots are better than others for me. Some are real fuzzy/blobby and some brands are crisp. Some once I open both eyes and focus past the dot it gets clear. My holosun green 510c is super Crisp and my mro is a blur. I wonder if the eye doctor can give me glasses to fix my problem.
    Look thru the red dot then turn the rifle. If the blobs or comma shaped dot turns with the rifle the problem is the scope. If it looks the same it is your eyes.

(Montgomery County)

I also have an astigmatism. Aimpoint is the best when it comes to dot clarity for me and I run an ACRO on a pistol and enjoy it. For rifles, holographic is where it is at. Eotech and the Vortex UH1 work fantastically on my carbines.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Susquehanna County)

There's only one trick when using a red dot with astigmatic eyes! Wear your damn prescription glasses and you'll see hte dot just fine!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast