Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Glock extended controls

Does anyone have a fullsize or compact Glock with extended controls on it? I am wondering if the extended controls present any issue when attempting to holster or carry a Glock. Thanks!

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Glock extended controls

No problems at all. I feel that for the price of them they are well worth it.
    I keep ext. slide stops in stock all the time.

(Bedford County)

Stock mag release works just fine for me, and I dont use the slide stop lever for anything except manually locking the slide to the rear....which isnt done in a tactical situation.

I see no need for extended controls on a combat/carry gun. I do see that the chance is better to hit the slide stop lever with your thumb and jam the weapon during firing.

I pass.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKMARK View Post
    Stock mag release works just fine for me, and I dont use the slide stop lever for anything except manually locking the slide to the rear....which isnt done in a tactical situation.

I see no need for extended controls on a combat/carry gun. I do see that the chance is better to hit the slide stop lever with your thumb and jam the weapon during firing.

I pass.
    I can see that may happen, if you suck. But I am left handed LOL. I also learned a long time ago how not to use any slide locks on any hand guns. But that still does not stop people from liking them. And it does make it a hell of allot simpler to release the slide on a glock.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Slotimus View Post
    Does anyone have a fullsize or compact Glock with extended controls on it? I am wondering if the extended controls present any issue when attempting to holster or carry a Glock. Thanks!
    I have seen problems with an extended mag release.

There would probably be no problems if the pistol was a dedicated range or competition gun or even for that matter a carry gun without ever having done or expect to do one handed gun manipulation.

I was taking a mini training session and practicing one handed gun manipulations.

A Doctor using a Glock(IIRC) 19 kept bumping the mag release while using his shoe to rack the slide( i don't remember now if he was bumping it with his hand while slamming the gun into his shoe or if somehow the release was activated by his boot).
    He had installed the extended release(and slide stop) for IPSC.
    The problem was recurring every time he tried. I offered up my G23 (stock) and it never happened.

A well known firearms instructor refers to anything on a pistol that isn't stock and somehow interferes with the defensive use of the gun as "do-dads".

This Doctor was convinced enough to remove the release.

I understand the miniscule chance of having to do a one handed manipulation but we train for just such an occurrence (Murphy and his law may never happen OR it might).

Having said all that, do whatever you choose and be happy with it.Just my .02

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Westmoreland County)

Larry Vickers designed a mag release button that is a compromise between the stock release and Glock's extended mag release button. It is highly recommended.

Regarding the slide stop, it is of no practical value because we don't use it to release the slide. Spending money on an extended version is a waste.

Bottom line, get the Vickers mag release. Keep the slide stop stock.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Regarding the slide stop, it is of no practical value because we don't use it to release the slide. Spending money on an extended version is a waste.
    Ditto on the slide stop.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Slotimus View Post
    With my grip, I tend to engage the extended slide stop during recoil, and lock the gun open between shots....I don't care for it.

I've never had a problem using the standard slide stop to drop the slide, but I have large hands.

Whether or not the mag release ends up being an issue for you, depends on how you carry it, and the holster you use. A tight holster that doesn't cover this part, and an extended release against your body...sure, it could release on its own....my M&P did this more than once to me w/ standard controls.

Are the glocks running with ambi mag releases now? That was a big reason I went with the XD. I'd be compelled to consider a glock in the future if they're ambi as I use my middle finger to release the mag on my strong hand side.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Larry Vickers designed a mag release button that is a compromise between the stock release and Glock's extended mag release button. It is highly recommended.

Bottom line, get the Vickers mag release. Keep the slide stop stock.
    I'm going to look into this, I wasn't really looking for the slide stop, just the mag release. I hate having to take my pistol off target to release the mag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast