Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Taking a pistol into Maryland

Can anyone help me with some law regarding transporting a handgun into MD for a training event ?

I know I cant carry in MD, but if I transport it to the location unloaded and cased and back out the same way is that legal ?

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Taking a pistol into Maryland

Quick google search found this: http://www.gunlawguide.com/Maryland.htm I do not know if it is current.

Also, http://handgunlaw.us/states/maryland.pdf has links to help determine if the place you are going to shoot at is legal. Apparently, types of legitimate sites are specified in the statute.

I found these links on the Internet. Use with caution. Nothing I said should be taken as absolute truth because....
    I am not a lawyer. I do not live in MD. I do not carry in MD. I have transported my firearm(s) through MD following Federal guidelines to get to more gun-friendly areas; however, I have never been stopped while driving through MD with a firearm in/on my vehicle.

Good Luck.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

(York County)

Default Re: Taking a pistol into Maryland

I know I cant carry in MD, but if I transport it to the location unloaded and cased and back out the same way is that legal ?
    Yes.

Don't believe the horror stories we often hear about Maryland. There are literally hundreds of thousands of gun-owners
    living in Maryland. And they hunt. And they have ranges. And they shoot... sometimes at their own ranges, on their own land!

Rumor has it some of them even have real bullets!

In Maryland, the law that deals with this is MD 4-203, and can be found in it's entirety here...

http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland...gcr/4-203.html

The most relevant section...

Article - Criminal Law

§ 4-203.

(a) (1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:
    (i) wear, carry, or transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, on or about the person;

(ii) wear, carry, or knowingly transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, in a vehicle traveling on a road or parking lot generally used by the public, highway, waterway, or airway of the State;

(b) This section does not prohibit:
    (4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

Last edited by Curmudgeon; October 19th, 2012 at 04:43 PM.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.