Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Walther PPK

(Lebanon County)

Default Walther PPK

What do you guys think of the .38 walter PPK?

I've been a really huge bond fan as a kid, and I have to get one of these either by the time I'm 21, or as a present before hand. I also like how it's pretty small, and very easy to conseal.

I'd also like to know about surpressors for this pistol. Is it illegal, legal, easy to get?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Walter PPK

Quote Originally Posted by Willtallica View Post
    I'd also like to know about surpressors for this pistol. Is it illegal, legal, easy to get?
    Legal yes, easy depends on your definition of easy, it's a lot of paperwork that may be very hard to complete in certain areas (usually urban areas) As for a .38 suppressor, never seen one in that caliber, but they probably exist.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Cambria County)

I've got the 75th Anniversary edition of the PPK on layaway. Beautifully crafted piece...etching on the barrel and slide, VERY nice gun. Of course, I'm getting it as a collector's item, NOT to shoot.
    Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in every caliber.

I'm armed and menopausal...Excuse me, did you have something to say?

(Cumberland County)

I am a big fan of the PPK and PPK/s.

I picked up an East German made PPK/S at a great old gun shop in Michigan the last time I visited. It was essentially unfired (no marks at all on the mag follower, no sign of wear on the mechanism at all), in the original box with the factory test target. Its 380ACP (AKA 9x17mm). They had it as part of a large private collection that was being sold on consignment. Sometimes I get lucky!

It is surprisingly accurate for a pistol with a 3.3" barrel. I've put as many as a hundred rounds through it at a range session, but I won't do that often. It is fun to shoot.

I very much like the DA/SA action on it. The DA trigger pull is a bit stout, but the single action is glass break crisp. The bluing and finish is first class.

The beauty of the DA/SA mechanism is that it has a safe lever - AKA De-Cocking lever which prevents firing when in the safe position. When the lever is in the safe position you can load, unload, clear the chamber, do anything you want with no chance that it will fire even if the trigger is bumped. I like that a lot in a carry piece.

It is a great carry piece. In addition to the very safe but easy to operate DA/SA action, it is quite thin and flat, in a basic IWB holster it doesn't protrude much below a 1-1/2" belt so its easy to hide under a sweatshirt or untucked T-shirt. The handle on the PPK/S is one cartridge case longer than the handle on the PPK. The slides are the same for both models.

The gun was designed in the late 1920's and early 1930's so I don't use +P loads in it for any reason. For target practice I hand load or shoot WWB from Wal Mart, for defense/carry I use Federal HS.

Fitch
    Last edited by Fitch; November 11th, 2006 at 11:32 PM.

I am a big fan of the Walther PPK/S in stainless steel. Beautiful with some mother of pearl or pearlite grips. Of course you're talking about 600.00 there. Then if you want a suppressor youd have to have a custom barrel done probably another 300. Then your paperwork for 200.00 and then buying the actual suppressor. So that's a bit too much IMO.

I'm looking at the carry alternative, the Bersa Thunder .380 Concealed Carry Edition. http://www.gunblast.com/Bersa_380CC.htm

By the way, it is Walther, not Walter.
    Last edited by MiniDevil; November 11th, 2006 at 11:03 PM.

(Montgomery County)

point here too...you CAN suppress the Walther PP or PPL in 32 or 380...but you WILL NOT be happy with the level of suppression you get.

the PP/PPK models are blowback action, and since the action is not locked, you will get a LOT of ugly noise, powder, and flash out of the ejection port, so much so that you willwonder why you bothered

it works ok with 22s, but larger than that, get a locked breech action 380 or 9mm to suppress.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Lebanon County)

Regards to the suppressor, if it wouldn't do the job on top of it costing times extra, then it's just not worth it to me anymore now so thanks a lot there.

If at least it would have worked I would still consider paying about twice the price for one even if it would get pretty dirty, because I'd just have it made to come apart for easy cleaning. I just don't want to have to deal with a frightened neighborhood if I even have to defeat an intruder with it. Also you have to admit, a little puff noise followed by a hammer click is pretty pleasing, but screw it!

Oh, and yeah I meant .380, not .38 by the way.

More about the gun from my point of view, pretty coo to me also how old it is, and also how well made it is to. I saw it taken apart on a video.

I also saw a guy's shot groups with one, and they were all very close together.

Well I guess that's it, I've discovered what my first hand gun will be. Nothing like being ahead.

(Montgomery County)

if you like the Walther PPK, I suggest getting one, its a very nice gun, and high quality also.
    and, if you like that after you shoot it, I really suggest looking at getting a Makarov.
    the makarov shoots 9x18, which is basically a russian 380.

I pshawd the maks for a long time, but when i shot one, I loved it.
    plus the gun is fairly cheap, and the ammo is very cheap for surplus 9x18.
    further, the Makarov is based on the Walther PP model, another thing the Russkis stole, then redid in a bit of a cruder model:-)

to show the difference here, below is a surplus German Walther PP(not PPK) that was supposed to be German customs issue, mine is in the original caliber of 32ACP, and has a hard chromed frame, and blued slide, and the police lanyard ring:

below is a bulgarian makarov, virtually the same gun, aside from a little bulkier and it has a heel clip magazine release. these guns go from $125 to $175 depending on condition.

if you can, buy both:-)
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Bucks County)

the new ppk is made in usa by smith and wesson. its a little bit bigger than the original becuz of some kind of import law. anyway does any1 know when the last german ppk's were imported?

i just bought a crosman ppk/s air gun and it recoils, its pretty fun to shoot in the basement, its an exact replica.

(Philadelphia County)

Very high cool factor as far as I'm concerned but from a practical standpoint, there are better guns for most purposes. It carries well, but there are others the same size/weight or even smaller/lighter in 9mm and .40. Also better choices for home defense or range use, too. But, like many, you might just HAVE to have one, anyway-not that there's anything wrong with that!
    Be Safe,
    Jim

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast