Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cambria County)

Default Drilling Rear M14 Aperture?

I have a standard GI rear aperture for my 18.5" barreled M14 with a gas Lock front sight (think HK post in circle style), but the rear aperture seems too small for quick work. The front sight is fuzzy and sorta blends in to the aperture ring no matter where I position my eye, so I have two options.

Order a .125 aperture from XS sight systems for $60+shipping (the same rear sight that's on the SA SOCOM I believe) - or - drill my existing rear sight out a bit to open it up.

Anyone have any thoughts on what drill bit I need and how to go about it (slowly, with oil, whatever)? I'm fairly confident that I can do it by hand if I take my time since I have the existing hole as a guide (and I don't have a drill press). The larger aperture would be more like a ghost ring, which will hinder long-range accuracy potential, but in my experience, I'm pretty good with larger apertures out to 300, maybe 400 yards (or at least, no better or worse with either )...which is plenty for this rifle and about as far as I can realistically expect to see and stay on target with my naked eyes anyway.
    Last edited by NineseveN; January 30th, 2009 at 04:26 PM.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Drilling Rear M14 Aperture?

I'd say try it yourself, you could always buy a replacement later. 0.125 is an eighth or 1/8th of an inch. You'd have to be very careful to drill squarely. If you have an assortment such as a cheap one from harbour freight that also has alphabet number drills, you'd start with the next size up until you reach 1/8th. That way you can get the apperature size you prefer. You could use oil, but for that small amount, it really wouldn't be necessary. If you don't have any, I can bring some to the next group shoot and a cordless drill.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by roland View Post
    I'd say try it yourself, you could always buy a replacement later. 0.125 is an eighth or 1/8th of an inch. You'd have to be very careful to drill squarely. If you have an assortment such as a cheap one from harbour freight that also has alphabet number drills, you'd start with the next size up until you reach 1/8th. That way you can get the apperature size you prefer. You could use oil, but for that small amount, it really wouldn't be necessary. If you don't have any, I can bring some to the next group shoot and a cordless drill.
    You're my hero for the day.

I have a drill bit set (a cheap Black and Decker from Walmart I believe) and a decent Dewalt cordless drill. My set starts at 1/16 and works up to 3/8 (obviously too big).

I have:
    1/16
    5/64
    3/32
    7/64
    1/8
    9/64
    5/32
    3/16

...and then some that are bigger than the aperture itself...which won't help.

So I'm thinking if I start small, with the bit that's just a little larger than the current hole and then, as you said, work my way up in steps, I can stop where I want to. I should be able to keep it square if I go slowly...though having someone give me a hand would probably help a lot. I'll be at the group shoot most likely...though I might not arrive until between 10 and 11 or so.

I'm guessing some cold blue to touch up the sight afterwards...?

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by NineseveN View Post

I'm guessing some cold blue to touch up the sight afterwards...?
    The set you have will probably be fine, going up in 64'ths. You have 3 sizes between 1/16th to 1/8th. there are 22- number drills between, plus the fraction sizes. If needed, I can still bring. I was incorrect about the letter drills, they start to large for this project.

You could use the cold blue. It would be mostly for cosmetics though.

(Cambria County)

The set you have will probably be fine, going up in 64'ths. You have 3 sizes between 1/16th to 1/8th. there are 22- number drills between, plus the fraction sizes. If needed, I can still bring. I was incorrect about the letter drills, they start to large for this project.

You could use the cold blue. It would be mostly for cosmetics though.
    I'd appreciate it if you would bring what you have just in case. Left to my own devices, I can be quite dangerous with power tools.

Thanks a million for the insight and advice man. You're a peach.

(Beaver County)

Hey, no problem. But really, you can't wake up any earlier?

(Cambria County)

Hey, no problem. But really, you can't wake up any earlier?
    If I didn't have to drive for an hour and a half, maybe.

(Allegheny County)

Let me look through the aperture first before you drill it. I've done extensive research on aperture sizes, lighting conditions, accuracy, focus, etc. See you at the shoot!
    Toujours prêt