Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Trim length question

I am new to reloading. I have been make rounds now for about 3 months and having good results. My question is trim length. How exact do you need to be? My 223 rem trim length from the hornady book says 1.750.

I have some brass as low as 1.740 can I use it? Even if not for match loads but blasting ammo.

I would also like to know if my brass is 1.760(max length) can I use it?

I would also like to know is there a general rule to have a trim length range?

Default Re: Trim length question

A trim length guage is not a necessity it is handy. I would get one unless you have a micrometer. Exceding the max length can cause very high chamber pressuresand problems chambering the round. Short cases may not have the same neck tension as a longer one but the difference will not normally be seen. If you are not playing benchrest games most of the precision loading steps are a waste.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by phill View Post
    A trim length guage is not a necessity it is handy. I would get one unless you have a micrometer. Exceding the max length can cause very high chamber pressuresand problems chambering the round. Short cases may not have the same neck tension as a longer one but the difference will not normally be seen. If you are not playing benchrest games most of the precision loading steps are a waste.

I agree. I keep all my oals around 10-15 thousands short of moal. Ex: The .38s I just loaded have a moal of 1.155". My oal was 1.145.

(Berks County)

I keep all my .223 brass between 1.750-1.755 I just have a cheap hornady trimmer with a drill adapter and I can knock them out farly fast with that.

(Susquehanna County)

Don't wrap yourself around the axle over trim length. It's really very simple. Make sure you have a decent caliper (a 6" works fine and vernier, digital or dial is great as long as you read it correctly). Set your caliper for the maximum case length and after sizing your brass pass the cases through the open jaws. Those that go through are OK, those that don't go through need to be trimmed to the correct trim length.

As to using brass that is 1.760", it's OK since it is not more than the maximum. As to brass that measures 1.740", I think I'd resize it (again) and remeasure. But more than likely it's OK too (especially in a bolt action rifle).

(Monroe County)

The only time you will regret running brass that veries in length is if you are running at the upper end of SAMII spec charge wise and crimping for use in an AR or other gas gun. If by chance you set your crimp die for a shell that measures 1.745 and then run a shell that measures 1.760 at minimum you will get donuts on the necks that won't chamber and at max you will start running high preasure and blowing primers.

If you have a bunch of short brass then I would seperate them into groups and load them that way.

Rich W.

(Northampton County)

I set my micrometer to OAL and if the case fits it is good to load, after sizing of coarse.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Franklin County)

A lot of new brass is slightly shorter than the "trim to" length listed in the manual, and is perfectly safe to shoot. It will grow after firing. If it is exactly max length-- also OK.

The importance of trim length kind of varies based on what you're shooting, and for what purpose. ARs, or gas guns, are addresssed above. If you're shooting a bolt, and/or looking for a high degree of accuracy, trimming to a common length provides consistency. For any purpose, though, stay at or below the specified max length for safety reasons.

The "general rule" is found in your loading manual - somewhere between "trim to" (shortest) and max length (longest). A little short is safe - just may not provide max accuracy. For most shooters (other than bench rest) anywhere between those two lengths is acceptable.

(Chester County)

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Lou