Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Another "first gun" thread: Glock 19 vs. H&K PSP

I'm finally moving toward my first gun purchase (having put the cart before the horse, so to speak, by getting my LTCF in the spring) after crunching numbers and such.

I've shot the Glock 19 and overall enjoyed it. It jammed a few times which was really the only thing I didn't like, this could potentially have been user error on my part though(?). For comparison I also used a H&K P7, which I loved (aside from the grip being a bit too big--I held the PSP and it felt much better fit-wise, which is why it's in the running).

Ideally this would be a good CC weapon--I'm concerned with the possibility of imprints on my clothes (female, tighter jeans, not that crazy about a gun in my cavernous purse) but can work around it if there are no other options.

I saw that Target World in Chalfont has the Glock 19 for $485. I've only seen/held the PSP in person at Targetmaster in Chadds Ford--I believe they wanted $700 or thereabouts. I don't believe that they (Targetmaster) would let me shoot it first and there are none available to rent at any of the places I have called so far (I'm mainly looking in the Philly/Delco area but will travel to Mongomery or Bucks counties for the right deal).

Any suggestions on the two? Go with what I've shot, can afford, and like well enough or something a bit more expensive but I'm 90% sure I will really enjoy shooting.
    Answers of "guns are like potato chips, you can't have just one--get the Glock now and the PSP later" is acceptable but not as helpful as I'd like .

Thanks so much!
    Last edited by AimeeM; September 2nd, 2008 at 01:14 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Another "first gun" thread: Glock 19 vs. H&K PSP

There are a lot of guns out there suited for CC, but you certainly can't go wrong with a G19! That is a good choice in my book (and I'm not even a Glock Fanboy! LOL)

It's just going to depend on your body shape and your willingness to adjust your style of dress to effectively conceal a firearm.

You may have to look at something subcompact like the G26 or XD9sc.

Are you going to carry in an IWB holster? Have you considered your carry options yet?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
    It's just going to depend on your body shape and your willingness to adjust your style of dress to effectively conceal a firearm.

You may have to look at something subcompact like the G26 or XD9sc.

Are you going to carry in an IWB holster? Have you considered your carry options yet?
    I'm somewhat of an anomaly on size as women go (curvy and very tall) so I think concealing should not pose as much of a problem as it would if I were smaller.
    Definitely going with an IWB holster or, if I had to, having a holster fitted inside a purse "just in case".

Have you considered any of the Kahr pistols? They're models are quite thin as they're all single stack and double action only.

Another, if you want to spend the money, would be something like the Springfield EMP, a 1911-style that was designed around the 9mm cartridge. I've heard nothing but great reviews of that if you want something on the platform.

Single stack will more than likely be easier to conceal without going too much baggier on the clothing.

Of the two, I would say the Glock 19. The HK PSP is unique in its squeeze cocking action. Not everyone takes well to it. A Glock 19 is more conventional and better suited to a new shooter.

(Allegheny County)

I would go with the Glock. As far as malfunctions go, I wouldn't worry about it. Glocks are about as reliable as it gets. As someone else wrote, consider a Kahr as well. I carry my PM9 in the warmer months in an IWB wearing shorts and a t-shirt. The rest of the year it's my 23 or P229. Let us know what you decide.
    Glock 23, Kahr PM9, Sig Sauer P229, Walther P22, Bushmaster M4A3, Ruger 10/22, GSG-5

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Between the two you mentioned I would take the glock hands down.

But I would also handle a few others to see if there is something better for you. Kahr makes damn fine auto's that will be much easier to conceal.

I am going through the same thing as you and I really like the S&W M&P compact. I would suggest you find someplace that has them and handle one. They are fairly similar to the size of the glock 19 plus they have interchangeable backstraps for different sized hands which is a GREAT feture for a woman. You can find the one that fits your hand the best.

If I had to choose between the 2 listed i'd say the G19, but I think the M&P would be a better gun at about the same size.

(Monroe County)

All up to you. Both are reliable firearms that will serve you well.

The psp is like no other weapon you will ever handle. That being said, I carry a p7 and cannot stand Glocks. Now folks will tell you get a Glock, but make sure they work for you.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by VeryPrivate View Post
    Of the two, I would say the Glock 19. The HK PSP is unique in its squeeze cocking action. Not everyone takes well to it. A Glock 19 is more conventional and better suited to a new shooter.
    The squeeze cocking of the H&K that I've handled before was actually part of the appeal. I feel that I took to the different action pretty quickly and it felt like it made more "sense" in my hand (if that makes sense to anyone aside from me, congrats).

Price and availability were really the only cons to the H&K for me so far. Part of the appeal was in that it wasn't "just another Glock". I guess I can always put it on the Christmas list, I'll try to be good.. .
    I'm going to try and get out and shoot the Glock again at some point this week, hopefully I can try out the S&W M&P that was recommended as well--we'll see how that goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast