Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default How durable and reliable are these pistols compared to Glocks (9mm)?

I'm sure that most pistol shooters will agree that Glock is pretty much the gold standard when it comes to durability and reliability (especially when chambered in 9mm). How do these pistols fare against glock with emphasis on those 2 qualities?

• Springfield XD-9
    • Beretta 92FS, 90Two, M9
    • CZ-75 and variants
    • FNP9
    • Ruger SR9
    • Ruger P95
    • Stoeger Cougar 8000

I know that some of the guns listed here are fairly new to the market place. Do any of the guns on the list actually beat Glock in terms of durability and reliability? Thanks in advance

(Bucks County)

Default Re: How durable and reliable are these pistols compared to Glocks (9mm)?

Can't speak for the others - but if the Stoeger Cougar is of the same internal quality as when Beretta had their name on it ( i know the finish my not be as great) - it should be pretty durable. My dad has one he bought in 2002 - he has between 25k to 30k rounds through it since then w/o a hiccup - the only problem he had was when the rear sight became loose last year - he staked it - and was back in bizniz. It still throws em through a 2" circle at 10 yds too.

(Chester County)

Default Re: How durable and reliable are these pistols compared to Glocks (9mm)?

Not sure that any on that list would be as reliable and fool proof as a Glock. If you add S&W M&P and Hk P30 to the list I think you could classify them equally.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    Not sure that any on that list would be as reliable and fool proof as a Glock. If you add S&W M&P and Hk P30 to the list I think you could classify them equally.
    The S&W M&P? I've heard that those can have reliability issues down the road (not to mention they have to be cleaned really well).

Over the years I have become a huge Glock Fan. I have a 19, 30 & 32 and cannot complain about any of them for reliability and ease of field stripping. I never used to be a fan of the Glock until I bought my first one and now I am sold on them.

I have also had a lot of experience with the Beretta. You will hear a lot of mixed emotions about Beretta's, but I have always been a fan of them and currently own a 96 and a 92 FS. I like them, I have never had a reliability issues and they are also very easy to field strip and fit comfortably in my hand. I am also much more accurate with a Beretta than any other Pistol I have ever owned. Maybe it's because I have trained more with them and they are currently the Duty Pistol for my Agency. Always make sure you use a Factory Beretta mag though, because some of the aftermarket ones have feed issue's.

I also had a Ruger P-97DC that I enjoyed, but eventually sold to buy other toys for my collection. I never had any problems with it, it was a little bulky for CC, but it was a reliable and accurate Pistol.
    Sector 4

(Chester County)

I have an FNP9 and it's built like a brick shithouse. I've had it for two years, and shot over 2000 rounds through it. I've cleaned it three times, and only ever had one malf (it was in the first 50 - I mighta limp wristed it).

I trust my life to it and it is the home defense gun, with a TLR-2 light/laser attached to it.

That said, I don't know if anyone has done the same things to the FNP9 that I've seen done in the glock torture tests. I think it'd hold up well, but I'm not doing that to mine to find out.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by etep513 View Post
    The S&W M&P? I've heard that those can have reliability issues down the road (not to mention they have to be cleaned really well).
    Whoever told you that didn't know what they were talking about. Period. The main thing many people lack when discussing a brand other than either what they own or what they are trying to sell you is simple objectivity.

The M&P's have proven to be very solid guns. For the record I don't own Glock's or a M&P. I would however buy a M&P if I wanted another 9mm. Glock's don't fit my hand and shooting style well but I am honest enough to admit that they are a great handgun.

Here is a link of Todd G's test on it. He had a crack at 62k rounds and stopped the test even though he and the engineers felt it would still function.
    but then the Lawyers stepped in... I think if you read Todd's cleaning regiment you might laugh. He is also doing a P30 test currently and I believe is around 30k rounds... He is honest, objective and tells it the way it is. He knows what he is talking about... You can read about it in great detail on either his site or M4C.
    http://pistol-training.com/archives/998

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by etep513 View Post
    I can't remember which Metro Police Force it was in Ohio that was using em either Cincinatti or Columbus but they got two 40 M&P's to play with and Smith and Wesson basically told em to shoot em until they break. They gave up at 100,000 rounds.

The Springfield XD is a very reliable and VERY robust pistol. I think those along with the 1911 and the Glock are pretty much nuke proof. The Beretta 92's are good pistols, however, they need a good lube detail.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you have, is also big enough to take it all away.
    Gerald Ford.

Happiness is 5,000 rounds of match ammo.

(Montgomery County)

I'd put a older stamped slide Sig P225, P228, and P226 into that list as well

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Erie County)

Of those on your list, I'd have to rate the 92 as tops in reliability...with factory mags. I'm not a big 92 fan but with proper care, they run very well.
    As for durability, I really don't know but I'd put my money on the CZ 75.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast