Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default Tactical Long Range Course

Looking for course schedules and dates for maybe a long range/tactical instruction (maybe 1000yrds)

Default Re: Tactical Long Range Course

what is your price range and how far are you looking to travel?
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Franklin County)

1 hour at most and like anyone else low price range

Quote Originally Posted by crowsnest2002 View Post
    1 hour at most and like anyone else low price range
    For what some of you guys are looking for, you're gonna have trouble. There are very few places in the US where you can find a serious tactical LR course and only have to travel an hour. There are also very few that will cost less than $800 just for the course. I'm sure you might find something, but you can only expect so much from the budget many are talking about. Most people are seriously want to do this either go to someone like Clint and Heidi at Thunder Ranch, Rifles Only, "The Badlands" (Badlands Tactical) in Oklahoma, etc.

Just to kind of give you an idea of what kind of money you're talking about, this is at Rifles Only.

http://www.riflesonly.com/courses/pr1_3day.html.
    It's a 3 day course that cost $600, plus at least 350 rounds of ammunition to shoot while you're there, on top of the other necessary accessories you may or may not need to buy. This is for the fundamental basics LR course. Some places will include lodging and meals, but as far as I know this is not one of those courses. So you would also need to cover airfare, lodging, meals, etc.

http://www.riflesonly.com/courses/pr1_5day.html
    5 day course with a 650 round count that costs $950. Ranges are a bit further in this course, and stuff covered a bit more in detail, etc. Sniper's hide has a course arranged with rifles only that is a 5 day course and only costs $800.http://www.riflesonly.com/courses/SH...precision.html but it only has a 400 round count. Either way, LR shooting is not a cheap hobby and not something that you just kind of jump into unless you're serious about it. Check out Thunder Ranch, you'll see more along the $1500 price range, although I think they provide facilities, etc.

You can learn some things from other people for cheaper, just really pay attention to who's teaching you, what their credential are etc. Because you can get taken for a fair bit of money, and pick up some bad habits along the way, or not even have the ranges that you'd want to stretch out to. Just consider everything, and weigh it out. It's not something you just jump into.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by crowsnest2002 View Post
    Looking for course schedules and dates for maybe a long range/tactical instruction (maybe 1000yrds)
    http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com/CVTtraining.htm

Best guy I've heard of on the east coast. But I know next to nothing about LR shooting.

(Centre County)

It's full and there's a waiting list, but there is a long range shooting clinic at Reade Range on Sept 5-6. I think cost was $100, 150 rnds, with shots out to 1025 yards. Moving targets included. If it's succesful maybe they'll have another. I'll be attending as an assistant so I'll be able to give some feedback later. There's even a Hilton at the range and they'll be having a barbeque on the deck.

Also, not a "training" course, but Reade Range also has a Sniper Challenge. Two days with various stages. Shots from 200 yards out to 1000 yards with assorted f*cked up and twisted scenarios. We even had a head shot through glass. Moving targets out to 600 yards. No benches. I know a few people that were fairly new to LR shooting that attended a few of these and were quickly educated in the school of hard knocks. At the end they picked up some skills and even impressed themselves with some pretty difficult shots. There are very knowledgable shooters that attend these events with some impressive resumes and are always willing to help out new folks. The Spring match even had an instructor from SOTIC. Just check any attitudes at the gate and go in willing to learn and you'll have a blast.

They had a match last weekend. Results are posted on snipershide in the competition section. They also have some match results and photos on the reade website.

I think this is about as affordable as it's gonna get for you. After that you're probably looking at one of the courses tomcat posted. Good luck.
    Last edited by arrrrgh15; August 6th, 2009 at 08:27 AM. Reason: spelling

(Centre County)