Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Driving to Indiana

Hey everybody. I used to live in Indiana and in a few weeks I am going back to visit some friends. While I am there we are planning on doing some shooting on my friend's private property.

I have a PA LTCF. I know that I have Reciprocity in Indiana but I don't in Ohio. I am not sure about West Virginia either. Anyway, when I am driving through Ohio (and possibly WV) how should I transport my firearms. I am planning on taking 3 guns (my M&P Shield as my carry gun, a 1911, and an AR-15). My truck does not have a separate locking compartment (I am obviously not throwing my guns in the bed with just the tonneau cover on. Would I have to get a lockable case for my rifle and pistols? Right now I only have soft cases. I assume that I would also have to carry the mags seperate from the guns.

What are your recommendations on what I should do? FYI, my wife and daughter will also be travelling with me.

Default Re: Driving to Indiana

West Virginia recognizes your LTCF so you're OK there. Ohio does not, but isn't as restrictive as PA on transporting unloaded handguns without a license. It has to be unloaded and in a case. I'm not sure if it has to be inaccessible, like in the trunk, but that's how I'd do it. One oddity of Ohio law is that a loaded magazine or speedloader anywhere in the vehicle "loads" the gun, so you'll need to empty your mags as well.

I suggest you get a Utah CHP and you can carry in Ohio, all you want.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    West Virginia recognizes your LTCF so you're OK there. Ohio does not, but isn't as restrictive as PA on transporting unloaded handguns without a license. It has to be unloaded and in a case. I'm not sure if it has to be inaccessible, like in the trunk, but that's how I'd do it. One oddity of Ohio law is that a loaded magazine or speedloader anywhere in the vehicle "loads" the gun, so you'll need to empty your mags as well.
    Like I said though...I don't have a trunk. Will they be okay in a soft case unloaded with my magazines unloaded in a different location?

Quote Originally Posted by rxer311 View Post
    Like I said though...I don't have a trunk. Will they be okay in a soft case unloaded with my magazines unloaded in a different location?
    As long as they are cased and unloaded you will be fine. Wrap the cased guns in a blanket or sheet and put them on the floor. that will keep them out of sight.