Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Any Plumbers out there to help advice me

I have a problem that I have never seen before that I need advice on. My shower head was getting build up of what I assume is iron deposits ( I have Well water and it smells like sulfur) and some mold. I decided to change the shower head to a different type, not to stop from cleaning it juts like it better. When I removed the Old shower head I noticed the inside of the pipe is black as well as inside the shower head threaded end. I removed the pipe and its black in both ends. Is this mold? what do I do now, I assume if it is in the shower pipe if is probably in the diverter and pipes. Any one have this problem?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Any Plumbers out there to help advice me

Quote Originally Posted by jofreder View Post
    I have a problem that I have never seen before that I need advice on. My shower head was getting build up of what I assume is iron deposits ( I have Well water and it smells like sulfur) and some mold. I decided to change the shower head to a different type, not to stop from cleaning it juts like it better. When I removed the Old shower head I noticed the inside of the pipe is black as well as inside the shower head threaded end. I removed the pipe and its black in both ends. Is this mold? what do I do now, I assume if it is in the shower pipe if is probably in the diverter and pipes. Any one have this problem?
    It's not mold but iron deposits. There are remediation steps for reducing iron, fairly expensive as I understand. In the area you are in the "rotten egg" odor is easier to remove. A simple water softener may help with something other than the normal salt.

It would be best to call your well guy or a plumber to have the filtration added to clean this up.

No real answer, I know, but I've had to deal with well water problems myself.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Northampton County)

OK thanks, as long as it is not Mold. I was already working toward the water softener, looks like I need to speed that up.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Please direct all plumbing related questions to PAFOA's resident plumbing expert Mr. 27 Hand.

file photo

P-11randomred-greenreferenceSHOOTER

(Allegheny County)

LOL.

seriously, though, thinking about it, 27hand does look a bit like red green. i never thought of that before.

something tells me he'd be right at home in the possum lodge, too.

i'm a man...but i can change...if i have to.

(Elk County)

A standard water softener is not optimum treatment for iron-containing water; the recommended treatment is potassium permanganate, a purplish manganese salt of the potassium metalloid ion. There are permanganate ion-exchange units that look similar to the standard sodium salt water softeners available from water softener service suppliers like Culligan, or from Sears. Instead of bagged water softener salt you fill a holding tank with dry potassium permanganate crystals purchased from the water softener company, hardware store, Agway or other farm store, or Sears. Potassium permanganate is deliquescent and will pick up moisture from humid air if not kept closed up. It will stain clothing and skin a purplish-brown so wear gloves and old clothes.

Permanganate is more expensive than standard water softener salt but it is MUCH more effective at removing iron. If you install a standard sodium salt exchange softener system for the iron, you WILL be very disappointed at the $$$ spent for little effect, as was my FiL who didn't care to listen and found out the hard and expensive way. After fukkin' around with a standard system for a year, after the Culligan contract was up he broke down and put in the permanganate system and <poof> the iron was gone. Then true to form, he bitched about the cost of permanganate, but my MiL was happy because she wash white clothes at home instead of a landromat.

Noah

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    A standard water softener is not optimum treatment for iron-containing water; the recommended treatment is potassium permanganate, a purplish manganese salt of the potassium metalloid ion. There are permanganate ion-exchange units that look similar to the standard sodium salt water softeners available from water softener service suppliers like Culligan, or from Sears. Instead of bagged water softener salt you fill a holding tank with dry potassium permanganate crystals purchased from the water softener company, hardware store, Agway or other farm store, or Sears. Potassium permanganate is deliquescent and will pick up moisture from humid air if not kept closed up. It will stain clothing and skin a purplish-brown so wear gloves and old clothes.

Permanganate is more expensive than standard water softener salt but it is MUCH more effective at removing iron. If you install a standard sodium salt exchange softener system for the iron, you WILL be very disappointed at the $$$ spent for little effect, as was my FiL who didn't care to listen and found out the hard and expensive way. After fukkin' around with a standard system for a year, after the Culligan contract was up he broke down and put in the permanganate system and <poof> the iron was gone. Then true to form, he bitched about the cost of permanganate, but my MiL was happy because she wash white clothes at home instead of a landromat.

Noah

Thanks Noah that is great info.

(Delaware County)

I would first try and find a sample kit and take a water sample of your water and have someone see exactly what your water conditions are. Then once you know what levels your water is then you can treat it correctly and not waste money on the wrong equipment.

(Cumberland County)

Noah is correct, a softener will not work. One question, you said it was black inside the pipe, is it slimy as well? Also, do you use any chlorine tablets (eg. 2000 flushes) in the toilet tank? If you have a slime back there, you most likely have a sulfur bacteria (or it could be an iron bacteria, depending on the color) It is a harmless bacteria that feeds on the sulfur (or iron) in the water and will keep a standard oxidizing filter like a potassium permanganate system from working properly. It needs to be treated with chlorine in order to remove it. There are systems that work really well for this. I am not in your area, but I'd be willing to help you with the right question to ask when shopping for a system. Also, in my experience, it is best if you stay away from sears and the big box stores when shopping for water treatment equipment. The systems they sell there have a designed service life that is entirely too short. In fact, my Dad once talked to a CS rep from sears who told him it would be best if a customer of ours replaced a softener that was 3 years old.
    P.S. What you really need isn't a plumber, its a water treament professional (no offense to the plumbers)

(Lehigh County)

yes... get your water tested first. that way you can treat whatever problems you have correctly. Call a water treatment company or most well drillling companies handle this stuff as well. I needed to put in an iron filter and a water softner. and even after the bacteria levels in my well were acceptable levels after clorinating I decided to still install a UV setup.
    ~De-Animating the undead since '08~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast