Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: S/A 1911 R/O

(Bucks County)

Default S/A 1911 R/O

Hey guys now for Christmas I got 1911 .So I love this gun it is totally awesome .And I see the up grades for this thing but to be totally honest this is my first 1911 so i cant compare it to anything else .So when everybody is talking about this or that I dont know what to do with mine .So for now iam going to keep shooting it and loving it .But in your guys opinion what would you do to this to make it better and why .so i can look for it also while shooting mine.The only thing i was going to do was grips but the more i look at mine the more i like mine so i got the rubber wrap around for the front grip rail I guess thats what they call it lol.

(Erie County)

Default Re: S/A 1911 R/O

Quote Originally Posted by gun fan View Post

So when everybody is talking about this or that I dont know what to do with mine .So for now iam going to keep shooting it and loving it .But in your guys opinion what would you do to this to make it better and why .so i can look for it also while shooting mine.

Ammo, and lots of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Bucks County)

I agree gun thats what iam going to do .Like honetly i dont think you can make this gun better .lol

(Blair County)

The Range Officer is designed to be everything someone new to competitive shooting would need to compete, all in an affordable package. I'd say put a few thousand rounds through it before considering adding anything to it. By then you'd have a better idea of what you like and don't like, and therefore what would need changing/upgrading. Enjoy!

I've had a RO for about a year & it's functioned flawlessly with any of my reloads or store bought ammo.

The first thing I did was put a set of VZ Alien grips on it, then a Dawson Precision tritium front sight. Other than that, just some Wilson mags & ammo.

Great gun IMO.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Bucks County)

I guess i had the answer before i wrote but .thanks guys

(Chester County)

That's supposed to be a pretty decent gun, so I wouldn't add too much to it until you start finding things you don't like.

One thing that I added to my first 1911 was the Crimson Trace grips. VERY expensive accessory, but they work better on 1911's than on most other guns and they are a great training and shooting aid.

(Delaware County)

You've got one of the best shooting 1911's for the money.
    I shoot mine in USPSA competition. They are very shootable right out of the box.
    The only upgrades I have done {or had done} was, trigger job, Pachmeyer grips, Smith & Alexander magwell and a full length giude rod. {FLGR} I just couldn't find much else that the gun needed. {for competition}
    If it's just for shooting at the range, there's just not much you need to add unless you want some fancy grips. Some guys want to carry them and switch out sights.
    Keep it clean and shoot the snot out of it.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Ammo, and lots of it.
    +1

There aren't whole alot RO needs to be a great gun.
    I would do something simple, like new grip panel, or Magwell MSH(most are drop in with no need for fitting) to make your RO a yours.
    Also by replacing MSH with aftermarket one, you'll ditch the silly ILS.

I myself do not care for an Adjustable sight. So I would replace that with night sight from Harrison's

http://shop.harrisoncustom.com/categ...e-lpa-cut.aspx

I also am not a big fan of long 3 holed trigger they(Most 1911 these days for that matter) comes with Springfield. I have small hand.
    So usually my first modification to any 1911 I've gotten this past few years has been to replace trigger with solid mid length(or short) trigger.
    infact, I just got done ordering one from Brownell's(along with few other things) for my new Loaded I picked up this past saturday
    I like GI plug set up. I don't believe FLGR do anything for accuracy, so I'd leave that alone.
    Last edited by Mity2; February 14th, 2012 at 03:49 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere