Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Question on the law

I have a 15 year old cousin, and i'm not sure on the legalities of me taking him pistol shooting. Am i correct in assuming that it is legal at the age of 15 for me to take him to the range?
    Owner of EMac's Tactical - www.emacstactical.com

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Question on the law

I don't recall any law (edit - prohibiting it) regarding the age of a young shooter accompanied by an adult. Club range rules are another thing. If it's a public indoor range that you pay to use, check with them first on their policy.
    Last edited by Hawk; December 26th, 2008 at 10:48 AM.
    Toujours prêt

(Franklin County)

The law says:
    §6110.1. Possession of Firearm By Minor.

(a) Firearm.—Except as provided in subsection (b), a person under 18 years of age shall not possess or transport a firearm anywhere in this Commonwealth.

(b) Exception.—Subsection (a) shall not apply to a person under 18 years of age:

(1) who is under the supervision of a parent, grandparent, legal guardian or an adult acting with the expressed consent of the minor’s custodial parent or legal guardian and the minor is engaged in lawful activity, including safety training, lawful target shooting, engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or the firearm is unloaded and the minor is transporting it for a lawful purpose; or

(2) who is lawfully hunting or trapping in accordance with 34 Pa. C.S. (relating to game). (Chgd. by L.1995, Act 66(4), eff 11/22/95.)

(c) Responsibility of adult.—Any person who knowingly and intentionally delivers or provides to the minor a firearm in violation of subsection (a) commits a felony of the third degree.

(d) Forfeiture—Any firearm in the possession of a person under 18 years of age in violation of this section shall be promptly seized by the arresting law enforcement officer and upon conviction or adjudication of delinquency shall be forfeited or, if stolen, returned to the lawful owner.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

thank you, much appreciated
    Owner of EMac's Tactical - www.emacstactical.com