Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default What do you think of these armor plates?

I have been looking at some armor recently. I originally found this site for targets then noticed they had armor. http://www.thetargetman.com/product/...te-body-armor/

I am looking for lightweight armor that I don't have to be super careful with.
    What do you think?
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

Default Re: What do you think of these armor plates?

I think the applicability of this product should fit your needs well.

CL

(Montgomery County)

I don't know, but that's a LOT of $ for just two plates. For a third of the cost, you can get AR500 plates that can take multiple hits. The AR500 plates are 7.5 pounds each, these are half that weight. I like the idea of lightweight side plates, but I'd rather have the steel front and rear plates. YMMV.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Bucks County)

I think steel is a good option for SHTF Bosnian style fighting (over years), compared to ESAPI/Ceramic plates for moving and combat....

but man i wouldnt want to lug steel plates around over a good strectch of time, every oz, every gram adds up

(Erie County)

i think they are awesome. i personally have a set in a BCS plate carrier. they ARE heavy compared to lesser armor levels, but all lesser armor usually doesnt take repeated shots as well as steel.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    I think steel is a good option for SHTF Bosnian style fighting (over years), compared to ESAPI/Ceramic plates for moving and combat....

but man i wouldnt want to lug steel plates around over a good strectch of time, every oz, every gram adds up
    The odds of ever needing armor are quite small (I hope). The odds of ever needing armor and having to go on a long march are even smaller.

I'm curious what scenario the OP envisions being in that he will need lightweight armor plates.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    The odds of ever needing armor are quite small (I hope). The odds of ever needing armor and having to go on a long march are even smaller.

I'm curious what scenario the OP envisions being in that he will need lightweight armor plates.
    Given the small odds, i still rather opt for lighter more mobile plates...do i have a set of AR500 laying around sure....is my PC loaded with ESAPI, yes...

ive hiked/walked with my AR500 plates (in the woods with terrian and on just a treadmill) it gets heavy very quick and im in decent shape...walking with the ESAPI plates are much much better

hell even just standing around the weight on your neck and shoulders becomes cumbersome when you add weight of rifle mags/pistol mags/hydro bladder, Blow out kit, knife, etc

I urge those you buy armor for just SHTF to actually train with them on and or walk around you dont want to be in for a rude awakening if the time comes you do need them and you can move at a quick pace 100yds before falling over

(Bucks County)

P.S you cant get the same type of plates here for $120 and soon to be cheaper given the surplus market and the trooves that will be hititng soon (unless of course we gear up for war again)

http://www.securityprousa.com/ltc-27400-plate.html

my good deed for the day

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post

I have a different opinion. I think most scenarios under which I need plates will be very short in duration and I won't use them. The remainder of scenarios where I actually use plates, I will probably want them to be light weight. I can absolutely see myself tracking a friend or family member under uncertain conditions that don't inspire me to call the cops.

And, of course, any general breakdown in society such as Katrina, etc.

(Northampton County)

On the plus side, you get used to wearing body armor very quickly...on the downside as a civilian, you wont have a chance to get used to it (unless you plan on wearing it around your house).
    You may find me dead in a ditch one day. But by God, I'll be lying in a pile of brass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast