Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Gun Owners Like the New Chevy Volt?

Here is a clip from Autoblog.com...it mentions a thread from arfcom about the Chevy Volt Electric car...interesting, or BS...you decide!

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/08/14/g...-a-chevy-volt/

~Snip~
    Unlike most hybrids, the Chevy Volt may have the uncanny ability to attract buyers outside the culture of environmentally conscious citizens. Case in point is AR15.com, a gun owners website and forum that's having an enlightening discussion about why the Volt hits their sweet spot. Forget about "tree-huggin stump-humping global warming alarmist" types (their words, not ours), these gun owners like the Volt because it promises a range equal to cars with gas engines and the ability to use no fuel for short trips. Who wouldn't like that? The forum member who started the thread with a link to an article on the Volt comments repeatedly that the first production series hybrid from GM will be a "game changer".

It seems that many people, like the AR15.com posters, willfully alienate themselves from the current crop of green cars on the market specifically because they're touted by the liberal elite as the morally responsible choice of transportation we should all be driving. In fact, there are many conservatives in this country who also care about the environment and are interested in reducing dependence on foreign oil, but would rather not sacrifice the reliability, range, and general usefulness of their gas vehicles for hybrids that a.) don't live up to their hype, and/or b.) simply don't suit their needs. If the Volt delivers on all of its promises, then it should also attract these people who wouldn't touch a Prius with a ten-foot pole.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Gun Owners Like the New Chevy Volt?

I know a libertarian who drives a prius who has come to hate the attention the car gets even though he likes the car for its gas mileage. Most hybrid owners have this holier than thou bullshit attitude and they approach him like he must share their views because he has a prius.

This one hip young woman congratulated him in a parking lot for taking such a bold step to save our planet by cutting his carbon emissions. I believe his exact response was, "If this car ran on the blood of baby seals i'd club them to death myself if it meant i didn't have to pay $200 a week for gas"

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    I know a libertarian who drives a prius who has come to hate the attention the car gets even though he likes the car for its gas mileage. Most hybrid owners have this holier than thou bullshit attitude and they approach him like he must share their views because he has a prius.

This one hip young woman congratulated him in a parking lot for taking such a bold step to save our planet by cutting his carbon emissions. I believe his exact response was, "If this car ran on the blood of baby seals i'd club them to death myself if it meant i didn't have to pay $200 a week for gas"
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha MarcS you are my new hero!! haha
    Gun Control means using both HANDS!!!

(Washington County)

Bah, its all BS.

Prius's dont get much better milage than other mid size cars, and the cost over a similar size car negates any fuel savings. Add to the enviromental impact that the manufature of one causes, and its no better (actually worse than) a Hummer.

Electric cars get their juice from somewhere... and until we wise up and get some new nuke plants built stateside, we are just burning oil somewhere else.

(Allegheny County)

Biodiesel!

That's the ticket.

(Washington County)

Any kind of diesel...

HEck, I would love to run a cycle on bioD, its cheap and the power you can get.... only thing is there are few bikes that run diesel.

(Cumberland County)

I don't know anyone who doesn't want better mileage. I agree hybrids are not worth the hype. The volt does appear to be the real deal. I don't support hydrogen yet, we don't have a way to produce it that doesn't use fossil fuels.

(Washington County)

Sure we do.. nuclear power can provide the electricity to separate hydrogen and oxygen form water.

Only 2 issues there.

1. Takes more energy to do this than you get out of it.
    2. Hydrogen is hard to store, since it is flammable, and hard to contain (being the smallest element on the periodic table).

There have been some ways around this, unitednuclear.com has an interesting solution, but its going to be a while.

What is the engine of the future is a gas engine that uses a 5th stoke to inject water into the hot cylinder, and use the expanding steam to get the 6th stroke. you can up your efficiency by 30% IIRC using that idea, and with miminal retrofitted hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    thats hilarious!

(Bucks County)

LOL, dollars to donuts that the AR15.com thread was in the Survival Forum and they were discussing if this would be a good bug out vehicle after the zombies attack. Knowing them guys I'm sure there was also a side debate how the Volt would do after a nuclear EMP attack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast