Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default First real target with a pistol, suggestions?

First off I'm not too sure where this would fall under as far as which forum it should go in so if I'm wrong then I'm sorry....

I have had my 9mm Makarov for a little while now. I usually have too much fun with it at the range and just shoot as much as I can using normal circle targets, never really taking time to work on anything as far as control etc... The last few times I have made it a point to really try and repeat the same steps over and over. The first time I had a hard time hitting anything at 10yd but at 5yds and 7yds I was fine. This time I made it a point to shoot at 10yds and 10yds only.

I feel as though I did an ok job considering, but I feel like I could have done better. It is a half size target so I guess that means at 30ft it is supposed to represent 60ft? The orange dots are the shots I hit out side of the scoring ring, there are 10 of them....

Just wondering if there were any suggestions other than "Practice" to improve my consistency

Thanks,
    Tj
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: First real target with a pistol, suggestions?

First off... nice shooting.

In order to get better, it takes PRACTICE and a lot of trigger time.

From your target, I expect that you are anticipating some of hte recoil... or placing a little too much finger on the trigger and probably have a DEATH GRIP on the gun

Go SLOW...Firm grip... like a handshake... but not too hard.. Inhale, exhale...press the trigger...

it gun should just "go off" ... almost like it is surprising you... it is not going anywhere because you have a firm grip...just let it happen. You are in control of the weapon... just let it do it's thing while you place it on target.

Also... if you can have someone load a "dummy" round in to your Magazine randomly... as you press the triggher, and no "bang" happens... note where your sights are. They should be DEAD on the target. If they are not... then your flinching / anticipating the recoil... or your too much finger on the trigger is pushing the gun to a side or the other.

Another thing to keep in mind is the Grip...too much can swing the weapon to a side... then too much finger sweeps it to the other side...

Hard to say for certain without actually seeing you shoot... but it is a start

(Lawrence County)

Dry fire.....

Dry fire....

Put a dime on top of your slide and when you dry fire it shouldn't fall off.

Make sure the font sight never moves when you dry fire.

Experiment with everything to make the above work for you.

Lycanandgetagoodgripthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Elk County)

Put claybirds down on the 25 yd berm, prop them up with blocks cut from scrap 2X4s. Then shoot at the claybirds, then the blocks. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Paper's fine, but a reactive target of some kind is much more satisfying.

Watch your trigger finger position on the trigger. I place the first joint of my trigger finger on my Mak triggers. If I use the pad of my finger, I'll string shots horizontally like crazy. If I use the first joint, I can bust claybirds on the 25yd berm all day. Maybe 8/10, but I go back and nail the survivors later.

The Makarov is a wonderful little handgun.

Noah

(Berks County)

Just an idea.

I am by far not that great in the pistol shoot aspects but one I found that helps is this.

Take a brand new pencil and sharpen it. Find a cork board or get a piece of cardboard and put that on the wall slightly elevated from your shoulder height. Take a stick note or a note pad sized piece of paper and draw a triangle. Affix the paper to the board.

Take the mag out of your sidearm and check eight times to make sure there is no ammo in the gun, or for that matter even in the room. When you are absolotely sure there is no ammo in your sidearm place the pencil in your barrel eraser end first. Cock the hammer back or rack the slide for those striker fired varieties. Aim at the triangle, I like to aim dead center but where ever you choose make sure you aim there each time.
    Pull the trigger... The firing pin will hit the rubber eraser and push the pencil out of your barrel, the pencil will dig into the paper and board giving you an idea of where your shot would go. The idea is that if you can keep the pencil dots at the same place it will improve your range time.

It works for me...

This message was not intended to replace, or redirect you from any actual instruction. Always seek proffessional instruction before beginning any shooting exersize. The writer acknowledges this as someone elses work and not that of his own. Shooting schools are all over and most can be had for less than 3 cases of beer or 50 packs of ciggerettes. You don't need to smoke or drink although both may or may not be as fun as proffessional instruction. I remember this one time... Oh never mind. Just go get some training and than show everyone up.
    Clearfield Ohio, 19111

(York County)

Thats good shooting, not perfect but good. I would suggest finding someone who is knowledgeable in the shhoting sports and have them watch as you shoot, for the little things that you're doing that you can't tell your doing.

It does look as though you are anticipating the recoil a bit to much. I hate to say it as you asked us not to say it but, you just need more practice, it really does look like you've got the basics down pretty well.

Dave.
    3%

(Dauphin County)

I was the same way when i started shooting...practice practice practice. Play with different grip techniques and find out what works best for you. Then after all the practicing I get results like this
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/online-ta...utralized.html

Preach on shooting atleast 150-200 rounds a month to stay in tune

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for all the suggestions, it is greatly appreciated.

It isn't that I don't want to hear "You need practice" It's just that I know it already lol

Not having anyone to go with me who is really into the shooting sports has made it difficult for me sometimes. I fly solo almost all the time to the range, only time is when I bring new people to introduce them to the sport and thats usually just for the .22LR

If anyone is in my area and wouldn't mind giving some pointers I'd appreciate it. Don't know what I could trade for your time, maybe a box or two of ammo, targets etc?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by soup View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions, it is greatly appreciated.

It isn't that I don't want to hear "You need practice" It's just that I know it already lol

Not having anyone to go with me who is really into the shooting sports has made it difficult for me sometimes. I fly solo almost all the time to the range, only time is when I bring new people to introduce them to the sport and thats usually just for the .22LR

If anyone is in my area and wouldn't mind giving some pointers I'd appreciate it. Don't know what I could trade for your time, maybe a box or two of ammo, targets etc?
    anyone live near this shooter? maybe you can get someone local to teach you some better technique.

from your hits, i'd say you are BOTH anticipating the shot as well as not following through after the trigger break.

without knowing your shooting style, it's hard to make suggestions. are you firing like a rap star? you know, sideways...

find a shooter locally. I'm in the Allentown area. If you can't find anyone, I'll meet you at a local indoor range and distill my 10 years worth of military and police shooting experience with you.... and for free, too.

you need to get on target.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ten*K View Post

are you firing like a rap star? you know, sideways...

no....

Shooting like was explained to me

Holding gun like this:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast