Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Cool Change the AR buffer spring or weight first?

I have a new DB15 .556 16" that is throwing brass at the 1:00-1:30 direction. The gun runs very well, no lock back issues, no brass rim damage, no misfires, etc. I'd like to change out the original buffer spring and/or weight before trying anything else. My question is: can I use an H2 or H3 weight with the original spring, or should I use a heavier spring with the original weight? Which adjustment should I try first? I appreciate any info. Thanks!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Change the AR buffer spring or weight first?

I'm not an Ar pro. But what length gas system? What ammo are you using?

-Zach

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by John7367 View Post
    I have a new DB15 .556 16" that is throwing brass at the 1:00-1:30 direction. The gun runs very well, no lock back issues, no brass rim damage, no misfires, etc. I'd like to change out the original buffer spring and/or weight before trying anything else. My question is: can I use an H2 or H3 weight with the original spring, or should I use a heavier spring with the original weight? Which adjustment should I try first? I appreciate any info. Thanks!
    Yes you can run a different weight buffer with your original spring. Borrow one to try before you start dumping money on a possible fix, the best fix is an adjustable gas block.
    We the people love our country so let the government fear us.

(Monroe County)

If it's not broke why fix it?
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

You have three steel weights in your standard buffer. Replace one steel with a tungsten one and you made and H buffer. Replace two and you have an H2. You guessed it, replace all three then you have an H3 buffer.

(Dauphin County)

I don't understand how this is a problem. If the brass ejects then it must be working.
    "Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things."- Marvin Heemeyer

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by spandexlurch View Post
    I don't understand how this is a problem. If the brass ejects then it must be working.
    It's working, but it's not working optimally. It's overgassed, which means faster wear and tear and more recoil.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by spandexlurch View Post

This.

I could care less where the brass winds up as long as it's not in the receiver. Don't screw around with it just shoot the thing...

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    It's working, but it's not working optimally. It's overgassed, which means faster wear and tear and more recoil.
    If it's overgassed wouldn't knowing what kind of loads the OP is putting through the rifle be pertinent? I'm may not be the brightest but would shooting lighter loads alleviate so of the issue?
    "Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things."- Marvin Heemeyer

(Lancaster County)

John7367 ,
    I understand your issues, I recently put together an AR10 Alex Pro fab 18"upper and a PSA Gen II lower. the rifle runs flawlessly. although I noticed the erratic pattern of the brass ejection. this did not bother me until about 250 rounds through it I noticed the bolt lugs where getting the heavily shaved or worn,signs of overgassing especially apparent in carbine length AR10's as I have researched on the netz

I installed an ODIN works adjustable buffer (set to 4.65oz) and an ODIN works adjustable gas block, the wear on the bolt has appeared to stop, I have not installed the new bolt until I know everything is kosher, I have some ****m dye on the lugs and it appears to have stopped shaving the lugs but I only have a few dozen rounds through it. I adjusted the block to cycle the bolt and lock back on an empty mag then added two clicks open, It litters a nice small pile of brass at 3 O'clock, I could almost set up a bucket to catch it. generally speaking ejection patterns between 12 and 3 O'clock indicate an overgassed condition

here is an interesting discussion and chart on Arfcom:
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Be...rn/128-717214/

22671928017_8c68eccc92_b.jpg
    Last edited by SgtRecon; March 30th, 2020 at 07:24 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast