Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default All propose defense pistol????

What is a all around good defense weapon? My concern is obviously for short range protection, plus something that is accurate at a distance , say 25 to 50 yards? With a good stopping power..........

Default Re: All propose defense pistol????

This article, I think, seems to cover what one wants to know about handguns and then some. Note how he described the blast and noise from a 357 Mag coming out of a 2" barrel. Funny, but true....

http://civic.bev.net/shawnee/gunbuyer.html

1FingrCHan

(Centre County)

I'm familiar with many good handguns, but if I could only own one, it would be an HK P7 PSP. A P7M8 is a close second.

Ups:
    -All steel, very well built
    -compact & conceilable (moreso than M8 and M13), but with a full-size barrel
    -like a bar of soap; not a sharp or protruding edge anywhere on the gun
    -long range accuracy to 50 yds
    -reliable
    -safe
    -fast to action
    -excellent trigger
    -ergonomic and ambidextrous
    -quick takedown & easly cleaning/maintenance
    -fits the hand wonderfully
    -cool lookin'

Downs:
    -(I have omitted the downside that are consequences of the ups, for instance, 8rnd mag capacity)
    -acquisition cost
    -spare mag cost (but comes with two mags)
    -no Meprolight sights available (M8 and M13 only, but there is one other low-cost solution that requires your stock sights to be sent out)
    -limited holster selection (pretty decent for M8 and M13)
    -no stainless model available; factory nickel is $$$ cha-ching!
    -expensive & slow parts stream (parts are RARELY needed, but in the event they are...)
    Last edited by RandomTask; April 20th, 2007 at 06:56 PM.

I think you will find that is a near impossible request.

How about a nice S&W model 657 in 44 magnum.
    It'll scare the sh*t out of anyone(if you can draw it)
    And you shoot deer in your spare time

Inspector Callahan will proud of you.
    FUCK BIDEN

Your request might seem reasonable, but based on past posts I have read, you will probably leave confused.

But, in my opinion, if you are a first time handgun owner and are not going to carry, I would but a .357 revolver - 3 or 4 inch bbl - probably a Ruger SP 101.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ironhorse View Post
    What is a all around good defense weapon? My concern is obviously for short range protection, plus something that is accurate at a distance , say 25 to 50 yards? With a good stopping power..........
    Short range protection and 50 yard accuracy don't fit together to well if this is going to be a carry weapon.If this isn't a carry weapon I would look at a G31 which is a very flat shooting(Flat trajectory)pistol with a 4.5" barrel or if you prefere a revolver I would pick up S&W 686 6" or a Ruger GP100 6" Now if this gun is going to be used for a carry gun forget about 50 yard shots which will never happen on the street in a self defense shooting,with that said It's hard to beat the G19 for a well balanced package of Power,size,wieght,capacity,and cost.I own many weapons in many calibers,but my G19 goes with me 24/7
    MOHAA

(Allegheny County)

Uh oh. No one has come close to mentioning a Bersa Thunder 380. Have I chosen unwisely?

(Luzerne County)

G17
    G31
    G22 (Don't prefer 40 S&W Myself)
    G19
    G32
    G23
    SP101
    P220
    P229
    H&K USP (9MM 40 S&W .45 ACP)
    H&K USPc (Same as above)

All are great guns. Accurate and can be taken out to 50 yards with the intended results needed. It is all personal preferance.

(Allegheny County)

MOOHAA Player nailed it. If you have to shoot someone from 50yards in defense, it would be exteremely hard to do under stress. The only solutions there would be:

1) Have a rifle

2) Run

Pistols are very poor manstoppers as it is, let alone trying to stop a guy at 50 yards.

Not that it hasn't been done. In about 1992 (or so) a Cop in Hawaii shot a SKS wielding badguy at 99 yards with his Glock 17 and killed him dead.

But there's a big difference between resting your gun on your patrol vehicle, while your buddies are around you withtheir guns, and moving while trying to shoot a BG at 50 yards.

Well, first of all, let me say there is not an all purpose pistol, you want close quarters, or long range? You want concealable or hard hitting?
    There is no magic tool out there made of every thing you want other then your mind.

That is right, your mind is the best weapon one could want in any situation. Short range or in-house, most homes are under 40 feet long.. You could use almost any gun capable of stopping a man. Long range 25 to 50 yards now you are looking at a distant target and in most cases never will you need this distance unless you are being shot by some one with a rifle. Chances are you need a wall or some other blocking device. Stay away from cars, they magnetize bullets and rarely stop them at all. Unless you are on a football field you will rarely be shot at or shoot to 25 yards, you are looking more at 25 to 50 feet. 8 to 17 yards <~>
    Any quality pistol should get you in the X ring at this distance, now comes the mind, practice, practice, practice!!!

Your mind is a muscle, just like the muscles in your arms and legs, it needs exercise, and this is called practice.
    You might read Exo’s thread about practice http://www.pafoa.org/forum/articles-125/2077-teds-shooting-guide.html and learn a lot there about practicing your favorite sport.

Stop thinking there is an end all gun out there, there are many guns out there all for varied types of shooting. If there was one all out gun that could procure you with all the needs in the world, it would be the size of a Sherman tank and look like a leather-man tool!

Best thing to do is get one gun you are comfortable shooting at 25 to 50 feet and practice.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast