Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Question Tactical Flashlight on Airplanes

Anyone ever travel with a tactical flashlight in a carry on bag? I'm taking a short over night trip and don't want to check a bag, but do want to take my Fenix T1 with me. I don't see anything about flashlights on the TSA's website. Can anyone help?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Tactical Flashlight on Airplanes

It's just a flashlight. I don't think because the manufacturer says it's tactical, that makes it an evil flashlight.

I'm not trying to flame you, but the word tactical is over used by some manufacturers simply to make stuff sound cool. ie New improved tactical sunglasses.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(York County)

Isnt there something about batteries? Might have to get batteries one your at your location .... but I might be talking out my butt too... Im not 100 % sure

(Erie County)

I've had security check points in courthouses insist on me checking in my flashlight along with my other carry items. Those with crenulated bezels designed as an impact surface and such give them enough weapon potential to cause concern. I also carry a nice set of all metal Fisher pens. I suppose I should refrain from telling the security staff just how effective they can be when jabbed into a BG.

I might suggest calling TSA in advance and asking. I'd be pretty pissed if I had to leave such a light behind.

(Centre County)

I fly for my job just about every other week (about 100,000 miles a year) I have never had any problems with any of my "tactical" flashlights. They get looked at about every 3rd time I fly and nothing has every been said except "Ohh, cool light". BTW I carry a firestarter (you know the magnesium and sparker type) in my briefcase also and nothing has been said about that either.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Erie County)

They'll ask you to take out the batteries, then put them back in, then turn on the flash. At the most. Sometimes they don't even look at them.

(York County)

Thanks for the responses. I may see if I can contact TSA ahead of time and ask the question. I'm flying Baltimore to Cleveland and don't want any hassle with the folks in Maryland. I'll probably just bury in it my carry on and see what happens. I can always pull it back out after security.

(Allegheny County)

Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...batteries.shtm
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    BTW I carry a firestarter (you know the magnesium and sparker type) in my briefcase also and nothing has been said about that either.
    For what Ron?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wndr9 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I may see if I can contact TSA ahead of time and ask the question. I'm flying Baltimore to Cleveland and don't want any hassle with the folks in Maryland. I'll probably just bury in it my carry on and see what happens. I can always pull it back out after security.
    Bad news:

Asking ANY federal agency a question over the phone is more worthless than posting the question on the internet. At least here, you get real answers from a perspective of experience. On the phone, you get a flunky who may or may not have a clue what's for lunch, less any real regulations. In any event, NO federal agency can be held to their worthless advice! IRS, ATF, all of them have been proven to have given out information that was illegal, pointless and off base. People have been told in court that advice given by agencies is NON BINDING and you can't use it as a defense.

Take the damn flashlight, and be prepared to mail it home if some uncivil civil servant takes a dislike to your face, which is all it takes it seems to ruin a travellers day.

I know many cannot avoid flying, but I have not stepped on a plane since 96, and now that the TSA is en vogue, I don't foresee a time when I will. I will say that the next carrier I fly on will probably be Lufthansa or Swissair.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast