Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Ruger LCP vs NA Arms Guardian .380

Well, after being initially excited about the new Ruger LCP and all I've been hearing, after holding one in my hand last night at the counter at the Army Navy in Allentown, it didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

So I hefted a North American Guardian .380 and started to think this might be a more reliable and robust BUG purchase for ultra-deep concealed carry in "normal" clothes and circumstances.

Granted the Ruger is $319 versus the $450 or so for the Guardian, but the Guardian was all steel and felt like "a real gun".

The extra weight I don't mind, it would only help with recoil and durability... and another thing I liked is that they have 10 round extension magazines available to add a bit of extra grip and firepower, if one's taste leans that way.

Anyway, I searched the forum and didn't find any info on the Guardian besides something in the classifieds from about a year ago.

Anyone have any experience with the Guardian? At this stage I'm just kinda/sorta thinking about it.

I've read up a lot about the Ruger and most people seem to like them and the reviews in the trade mags were very good... hence, my initial interest...

But I just didn't get a good feeling from it when I had it in my hand.

On a side note, even though the Allentown Army/Navy has been taking a beating on the forum lately, the counterman was very helpful and courteous and went out of his way to show me the two guns.

/Also, they had a decent sale on 9mm ammo (American Eagle $11.05/50).
    Last edited by Robert Kayland; October 2nd, 2008 at 01:45 PM.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Ruger LCP vs NA Arms Guardian .380

Robert.....I think 450 is a lot for that Guardian. If you call around,I think you can get it cheaper. Try either Boyer's hardware in Slateington or American Sport Shooting in Broadheadsville. PAFOA member RFlynn is the owner of A.S.S. Boyers may have a used one. I've bought 3 used guns from here in the past 18 months. I get most of my guns from these 2 places. I'm guessing both would beat the Army/Navy.

A.S.S has a nice selection of holsters,belts...ect. RFlynn(rich) knows holsters & can guide a customer better than anyone at A/N or even Boyer's.

I would check around before I paid that much.

Buffalobore has what I think may be the best defensive ammo for the .380,but it's not cheap. In a short barrel .380 you're probably better off with solid bullets as some feel the .380 lacks the power to both penetrate & expand. Check out Buffalobore if you get/have a .380.

BTW that .380 Guardian is over 50% heavier than the little .357 I carry. But it's also a lot less $$. I'm into light weight because I like to carry in cargo pockets. Good luck on finding a small piece.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by reverserboy View Post
    Robert.....I think 450 is a lot for that Guardian. If you call around,I think you can get it cheaper. Try either Boyer's hardware in Slateington or American Sport Shooting in Broadheadsville. PAFOA member RFlynn is the owner of A.S.S. Boyers may have a used one. I've bought 3 used guns from here in the past 18 months. I get most of my guns from these 2 places. I'm guessing both would beat the Army/Navy.

A.S.S has a nice selection of holsters,belts...ect. RFlynn(rich) knows holsters & can guide a customer better than anyone at A/N or even Boyer's.

I would check around before I paid that much.

Buffalobore has what I think may be the best defensive ammo for the .380,but it's not cheap. In a short barrel .380 you're probably better off with solid bullets as some feel the .380 lacks the power to both penetrate & expand. Check out Buffalobore if you get/have a .380.

BTW that .380 Guardian is over 50% heavier than the little .357 I carry. But it's also a lot less $$. I'm into light weight because I like to carry in cargo pockets. Good luck on finding a small piece.
    Thanks for the info... yeah, it's a heavier little beast, that's for sure... but that's part of its attraction to me, because it feels solid and reliable.

I think if I did wind up buying one I'd order it from a local Emmaus gun shop that I like to frequent, just to give them the business. Saving $50 or so elsewhere isn't really a concern with me if I have to drive for an hour or more.

Maybe I'd consider a used one, but from what I've seen a lot of times used isn't all that much cheaper than new, so I'd just as soon spend the extra money.

I have a Taurus 85 .38 special revolver that's very light and smallish, and a Kahr MK9 9mm that's about as small as you can get for that calibre, but neither are what I would consider a "deep concealment" back-up gun for "normal" clothes, especially in warm weather... hence I'm tossing around the idea of a .380.

The weight isn't so much an issue for me, I'm looking for small but durable.

(Monroe County)

Weavers gunshop in Brodheadsville sells the Guardian for $375 and the Ruger LCP for $275 when you can get one , understand that Ruger is 4 years backed up on the LCP production of LCP.
    I bought the LCP , excellent Gun, no problems whatsoever.
    The Guardian is in a different class with Seecamps etc. Its heavy and wide defeats the role of deep concealment.

I would buy a Guardian but only for my collection of .380's , i own about 6 including Berretas , Walther ppk' Sigs etc.

Nyman

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    The Guardian is in a different class with Seecamps etc. Its heavy and wide defeats the role of deep concealment.
    Nyman
    It was a wee bit bigger than the LCP, but not so much that I'd say it defeats the role of deep concealment. The weight didn't bother me so much, but yeah, as an all steel gun it was significant over the LCP. Still, I found it eminently concealable in a jeans or jack pocket without any holster.

Leastwise, it was a lot easier to deep conceal than my Kahr MK9.

Weavers gunshop in Brodheadsville sells the Guardian for $375
    Gives me a good excuse to go to the BBQ meet and greet tomorrow!

(Westmoreland County)

If your looking for a pocket .380 and can wait a bit, the new Kahr P380 might be worth checking out too
    Last edited by FrankJL; October 2nd, 2008 at 05:01 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJL View Post
    If your looking for a pocket .380 and can wait a bit, the new Kahr P380 might be worth checking out too
    Whooooaaa, brother, you said the magic word "Kahr"! Thanks for giving me the head's up on their imminent offering.

But geez, do they have to be so darn expensive? I held the NA Arms Guardian in my hand, and I'd find it really hard to believe that even Kahr could make one so much better that it would be worth half again as much as the Guardian.

Of course, nothing stopping me from getting both eventually.

i know it doesnt pack as much punch, but will still get the job done VERY easily... did you look into a beretta tomcat? its a .32 auto... not TOO much smaller... but the pistol is about the same size as a seecamp and NA 380...
    This Space For Rent

(Monroe County)

Robert , interestingly, Khar makes the frames for the NAA Guardians , no doubt the Guardian is a sweet ergonomic gun and reliable too.

The Guardian can be carried loose in a front pocket, no problem but be careful when you sit down, it might print.
    I believe DeSantis makes a Nemesis for it.

Nyman

(Philadelphia County)

Funny you should ask. My NAA Guardian .380 just broke, see my report on this forum: http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=794194 .

I like it a lot, except for I got this one from an LEO in Colorado which requires a 12lbs trigger for this little bugger. Factory pull is 10lbs per the NAA site. Hopefully with the repair, I will get it back down to 10lbs.

You are absolutely right about how it feels. I like the feel of solid steel vs. semi polymer of the LCP. The LCP trigger seems a little lighter, but it's VERY long. They are both equally difficult to shoot so which you get, expect to practice a lot. You'll be surprise though that the recoil isn't much worse on the LCP, at least not enough for me to notice given how relatively more snappy these mousies are compared the bigger guns.

I'd still get a Guardian even with the problem. Look for a good deal. I saw a Guardian .380 with laser grips for under $600 a while back. Laser is actually a pretty nice option to have, IMHO. Good luck.

Al

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast