Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Anybody watch "The Pawn Stars"?

The people that come into that dude's shop to sell a gun must have a sign that says "rip me off" on their forehead. Its always the same M.O., a dude walks in with an old gun, proceeds to ask to try an sell it, but hasn't clue one as to its value. First thing the owner does is get his "expert" to come in and offer advice on what it is, and what its worth,etc. Don't any of these people question an "expert" that knows the store owner? Shouldn't they realize he's out to make a buck and give a kickback to the so called "expert" who's probably a business partner? They always say its worth X amount, then the owner of the shop offers them half of what the "expert" just said. If it were me, and this "expert" says its worth X, my first thought would be, "Hmm its probably worth 3 times that....But they never do, they just say "ok" and walk out the door with a few bucks.

A guy last night had a late 18th century musketoon to sell. Expert says its worth 10K, store owner offers $4K, price agreed on was 6K. To me I'd think the gun was probably worth $20K, so I'd ask for $10K. So now store owner will sell gun to a museum for $12k and make 100% profit..... Nice racket to be in.
    Last edited by Poonie; December 8th, 2009 at 01:00 PM.

Default Re: Anybody watch "The Pawn Stars"?

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    The people that come into that dude's shop to sell a gun must have a sign that says "rip me off" on their forehead. Its always the same M.O., a dude walks in with an old gun, proceeds to ask to try an sell it, but hasn't clue one as to its value. First thing the owner does is get his "expert" to come in and offer advice on what it is, and what its worth,etc. Don't any of these people question an "expert" that knows the store owner? Shouldn't they realize he's out to make a buck and give a kickback to the so called "expert" whp's probably a business partner? They always say its worth X amount, then the owner of the shop offers them half of what the "expert" just said. If it were me, and this "expert" says its worth X, my first thought would be, "Hmm its probably worth 3 times that....But they never do, they just say "ok" and walk out the door with a few bucks.

A guy last night had a late 18th century musketoon to sell. Expert says its worth 10K, store owner offers $4K, price agreed on was 6K. To me I'd think the gun was probably worth $20K, so I'd ask for $10K. So now store owner will sell gun to a museum for $12k and make 100% profit..... Nice racket to be in.
    Yeah, my wife and I were talking about that last night. I told her 9/10 deals on that show are a scam. But that's in the eye of the beholder and the person looking for cash.

(Lycoming County)

Anybody walking into a Pawn Shop to begin with is desperate. It is something like 75% of the people that walk into a Pawn Shop with something walk out with it. No deal is ever struck. The show, with good reason, only shows the remarkable items. My thought is that if an individual is unable, or too lazy, to establish the value of an item, they are at the whim of professional deal makers/bargain hunters.

In the case of the musketoon, he should have had his own appraisal, especially once he heard what the potential value was. Spend a couple of bucks, but no, everybody wants it NOW!

Be safe (and do not sell your shit to just anybody).

Scott

Didn't the seller make some crack that it was his grandparents, and this was the last item? Meaning the last item of value.

I was glad he got ripped off. He probably took the 6k and blew it on hookers and black jack.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Bucks County)

With the ease of the www, you would think people could get a pretty close figure to what there item is worth. If not like already said, get a appraisal. If someone is selling something to a pawn shop, they need quick money, hence the discount. I feel sorry for no one, because they know that going in.
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

Buyer (and seller) beware. If somebody is too stupid, lazy, or what-have-you to find out how much an item is worth, it is there fault they get burned.

On a side note, I still enjoy the show and watch it when I see it's on.

~ Derek
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9206&dateline=1225911  268

(Delaware County)

I think it is one of the dumbest shows on television.

Why do these fools in the store try to act all tough?

Chumlee is more retarded than you would think would allow him to dress himself.

Why is this on the History Channel anyhow?

(Montgomery County)

The people that come into that dude's shop to sell a gun must have a sign that says "rip me off" on their forehead. Its always the same M.O., a dude walks in with an old gun, proceeds to ask to try an sell it, but hasn't clue one as to its value. First thing the owner does is get his "expert" to come in and offer advice on what it is, and what its worth,etc. Don't any of these people question an "expert" that knows the store owner? Shouldn't they realize he's out to make a buck and give a kickback to the so called "expert" whp's probably a business partner?
    I love this show.
    The owner always tells the seller that he's in business to make a profit. Whatever the item is worth, the owner typically offer's half. He's taking the risk. It may not sell for what it's worth. He may sit on it for a long time, tieing up his finances. He most likely pays the experts an apprasal fee.

Of course the expert knows the owner. He never hides that. He usually says "I have a buddy who's an expert". Nothing is stopping the seller from getting his own expert.

They always say its worth X amount, then the owner of the shop offers them half of what the "expert" just said. If it were me, and this "expert" says its worth X, my first thought would be, "Hmm its probably worth 3 times that....But they never do, they just say "ok" and walk out the door with a few bucks.
    Ever notice that pawn shops are only ever located in cities and poor areas? Quick money for desperate people.

How is that a racket? I've never seen somene duped on the show. I saw this show, and thought the guy was nuts. But he agreed to the deal, knowing what the gun "may" have been worth. Nothing stopped him from saying no, and contacting museums on his own. That's what I would have done.

My wife sells on ebay. 100% profit is.... well peanuts. She's sold items at 20,000% profit.

http://history.auction.seenon.com/vi...392c8eaef5c8ec
    Here's a recent eppisode where a guy wanted to sell a Chronometer that didn't work. The owner told him it's worth $2500.... working. He bought it for $750, not knowing the condition. Then had a clock repairman come in and fixed it in 5min. The clock was locked with a securment cork for shipping. Cost $50 to fix. It's on auction now @ $2000. The owner took the risk and won, but could have just as easily bought a broken clock needing thousands in repairs.
    The seller could have just as easily got it fixed himself.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

(Delaware County)

shit..the new season started??!?!

I watched every episode last season and liked the show.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by tlgpa View Post
    How is that a racket? I've never seen somene duped on the show. I saw this show, and thought the guy was nuts. But he agreed to the deal, knowing what the gun "may" have been worth. Nothing stopped him from saying no, and contacting museums on his own. That's what I would have done.

http://history.auction.seenon.com/vi...392c8eaef5c8ec
    Here's a recent eppisode where a guy wanted to sell a Chronometer that didn't work. The owner told him it's worth $2500.... working. He bought it for $750, not knowing the condition. Then had a clock repairman come in and fixed it in 5min. The clock was locked with a securment cork for shipping. Cost $50 to fix. It's on auction now @ $2000. The owner took the risk and won, but could have just as easily bought a broken clock needing thousands in repairs.
    The seller could have just as easily got it fixed himself.
    I only meant "Racket" as in line of work. Of course these people know they could make more off the item....I just find them to be pretty stupid to agree to the sales.

Yeah the idiot with the clock got burned real good. Oh well live and possibly learn stupid!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast