Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What County...

Default What County...

What county do you think is the best in the terms of CC or OC. What i mean is where are you less likely to get hassled by LEO's or get stares. I may be moving to PA in the near future and this would probably play a role in my decision upon other things. Sorry I did not know which Sub-Forum to post this in.Thanks.

(Perry County)

Default Re: What County...

While nobody can say for sure, the logical choice would be a more rural county as opposed to an urban one. That just makes sense. Who would be more apt to "freak out" if you were seen OC'ing...a good old boy farmer or a Philly businessman?

P.S. Nobody can give you a hard time if you're carrying concealed. If you're CC'ing...nobody should even be aware that you are.
    Dave G.

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996

FN Herstal FNP-9M 9mm compact
    Taurus model 85 .38 special

(Montgomery County)

Well, just to throw something out there, maybe somewhere near State College wouldn't be bad. Got the culture if you are into that sorta thing, the school to take some courses at cause furthering your education is always a good thing, yet still a mostly rural setting. Oh, yeah, and they got some damn sports team up there too...

(Allegheny County)

even around the pittsburgh area isn't bad.

maybe just stay away from the southeast corner of the state...but, i'm not sure the current reality is all that bad there either.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    even around the pittsburgh area isn't bad.

maybe just stay away from the southeast corner of the state...but, i'm not sure the current reality is all that bad there either.
    /points to his location.

Na, its actually not bad down here at all but the traffic sucks with no hope of improvement in my lifetime (422 FTL). Will let you know when I start OC in the next year or two

(Jefferson County)

I can testify that Jefferson, Forest and Elk are very CC and OC friendly.

Clearfield County being very close to the Gun Utopia of the three counties above, but I have had some concerning looks in the Borough of Clearfield and hassled at the courthouse for securing my carry piece.

None of the counties above have much for employment being very rural. But there are gamelands and plenty of places to fish. Short of a bar fight here and there, violent crime is very low. We do have our fair share of theft related crimes though.

Jefferson Co's Sheriff Demko is VERY gun friendly. His deputies that I've spoken to or dealt with follow the same course of action.

I OC my Walther P99 and my 1911 on hot summer days, in fall thru spring I OC my Ruger Vaquero in a high ride crossdraw cowboy style rig.. .....no problems in the Brookville to DuBois areas. I've even got thumbs-up from DuBois police officers while standing in line at Subway. lol

(York County)

If you choose the SE part of PA, Bucks county is great as far as obtaining your LTCF with NO HASSLE. They give fast turnaround and ask no questions. Can't speak for OC b/c I never see it here.

(Snyder County)

At first I thought...well, rural counties. But consider what happened to the guy in Hawley that got his gun taken by local PD for no reason. Sometimes it is better to live near a larger town where the cops are familiar with the laws. But then again, the smaller towns are often more pro gun and open minded....

CC is not an option for me (18).Thanks for the info. Granted any pace is better than New York. Maybe I should have asked where have you more hassle.

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAHF View Post
    CC is not an option for me (18).Thanks for the info. Granted any pace is better than New York. Maybe I should have asked where have you more hassle.

You specifically mentioned CC in your original post. So what are you looking to do?

If you are planning on OC when you are under 21, you may get extra hassle. You are legally allowded to own a firearm under 21, but just allowded to purchase one. And the LEOs may be confused on the law, just as they are often confused on OC laws.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast