Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pop-Ups

Default Pop-Ups

Recently I've been experiancing a lot of advertisements telling me "I'm the ???? to view the site and click here to win" on PAFOA. I've run anit-virus and nothing comes up. Any thoughts?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Pop-Ups

Google "Browser hijack"

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Thanks for the info. When I did many sites came up. Do you have a preferance? Thanks for the advice.

(Luzerne County)

Unfortunately, no. I can't point you in any specific sites... There are many types of browser hijacks and you will have to do some research on pop-up types and probably remove them by process of elimination.

Either that or re-install your browser. Which you will want to do some searching on also in how to completely remove all traces of the browser as windoze does not do this when you do an "uninstall".

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Thanks again for the advice. I don't want to do a full install. By the way, great site.

(Delaware County)

Assuming you're using Windows check this link for how to uninstall Internet Explorer (IE)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177

This link for how to reinstall or repair IE:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

You may also want to do a system restore to a point before the high jacks occurred, once you find a good point then you need to remove all system restore points in case the higher is hidden inside one before you reboot your computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

http://windowxptutortips.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-delete-system-restore-points.html

I tried the system restore and every date I picked was not successful. I went back to Feb when I had a problem installing a window's update and had to spend 2 hours on the phone with India. I didn't want to go to a date before that with the assumtion that I couldn't intall the updates again and 2 hrs on the phone is something I want to avoid. I went to microsoft's site as Pa Patriot suggested and followed their advice. As soon as I came back to this site I had a message in the upper right there was a Red ad indicating that I was the 999,999 to visit and should click here. Then it went to another advertisement. Maybe my computer is ok. Does anybody else get the ad?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Sights View Post
    I tried the system restore and every date I picked was not successful. I went back to Feb when I had a problem installing a window's update and had to spend 2 hours on the phone with India. I didn't want to go to a date before that with the assumtion that I couldn't intall the updates again and 2 hrs on the phone is something I want to avoid. I went to microsoft's site as Pa Patriot suggested and followed their advice. As soon as I came back to this site I had a message in the upper right there was a Red ad indicating that I was the 999,999 to visit and should click here. Then it went to another advertisement. Maybe my computer is ok. Does anybody else get the ad?

the popup ads are NOT generated by this site a far as I know.

I myself now use Firefox with teh "No Script" add on, and I havent seen an ad in ages, anyplace
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Delaware County)

Iron Sights,

First...download this app (hijackthis):
    http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro...-10227353.html

install it>
    run it>
    click on the option that says (Do a system scan and save a logfile).

It'll scan your PC and then popup a notepad window with a bunch of info in it. Make sure you save that notepad file as a .txt document and post up all the info listed inside that file. We can then go through it and have you delete what's not supposed to be there.

PS-as others have mentioned, I'd seriously look into dumping IE and pickup either Firefox or Opera..both are top-notch browsers.

-Andrew
    Last edited by andrewjs18; April 24th, 2009 at 12:50 AM.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(York County)

Go here http://forums.techguy.org/ and register. ( free ) Post your problem in the Security Forum. Someone will come along and tell you what to do. Good people on there.
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast