Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default a little english rant...

who else here finds it hard to read a post that is FULL of misspellings and wrong usages of words... like, "our" instead of "are" or "theirs" instead of "there's"....

now, don't get me wrong, i'm the first person to admit, i'm not perfect. i misspell some times, and i may use the occasional wrong word, but what i'm talking about is when the post is FULL of them. I get really upset when i read stuff like that.... anyone else? I'd like to think that we here are all adults, past at least the fifth grade level of learning. This isn't just at this site either, i belong to a group at srtforums.com and they murder their sentances all the time over there.

i guess i'm just suprised at the number of adults who don't know how to spell. i thought pa was a state who had it's stuff together when it came to teaching kids. Don't get me wrong, i'm not blaming the people who misspell or use wrong words, i'm blaming the teachers who just push kids through school so they don't have to deal with them anymore.... it's just a shame.

ok then..../rant
    "Do not use K-9 advantix on cats"

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: a little english rant...

Wow.

You can't make this stuff up!

Squiggly lines O'plenty!

-
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Gary in Pennsylvania
    -------------------------------
    “No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt
    “Argue For Your Limitations……And Sure Enough, They’re Yours.” Messiah's Handbook
    “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates 399BC

(Mercer County)

Irony: calling out others for their failures in the use of the English language by writing your own rant full of failures in the use of the English language.

Funny stuff, though...

(Northampton County)

Well... I've seen worse.

Generally, the posts on here use accurate spelling and grammar, and are written with passable structure.

Quite frankly, it's the lack of paragraphs that makes some posts almost unreadable. The human brain can correct typos and misspelled words fairly easily... but when one writes a post that occupies the entirety of my 1440x900 pixel screen without a break, then we have a problem.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Adams County)

I don't know about you, but it REALLY irks me when the "I" in "I" and "I'm" goes un-capitalized. ESPECIALLY when it starts a sentence.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

Quote Originally Posted by Bmarshall91 View Post
    who else here finds it hard to read a post that is FULL of misspellings and wrong usages of words... like, "our" instead of "are" or "theirs" instead of "there's"....

now, don't get me wrong, i'm the first person to admit, i'm not perfect. i misspell some times, and i may use the occasional wrong word, but what i'm talking about is when the post is FULL of them. I get really upset when i read stuff like that.... anyone else? I'd like to think that we here are all adults, past at least the fifth grade level of learning. This isn't just at this site either, i belong to a group at srtforums.com and they murder their sentances all the time over there.

i guess i'm just suprised at the number of adults who don't know how to spell. i thought pa was a state who had it's stuff together when it came to teaching kids. Don't get me wrong, i'm not blaming the people who misspell or use wrong words, i'm blaming the teachers who just push kids through school so they don't have to deal with them anymore.... it's just a shame.

ok then..../rant
    So, its only "misspelling" that irritates you?

Not capitalizing and poor punctuation is fine? Okay, gotcha'.

(Northampton County)

Bmarshall91,

Perhaps the source of your contempt lies within, Grasshopper

I usually spell “moron” incorrectly. Which, similarly, comes up at the worst times
    Last edited by ungawa; February 11th, 2009 at 09:25 AM.

(Clarion County)

Not everybody had the chance to perhaps get an education at the same level as others.As long as a person can get one's point across,is it really that important ?I finished my education in 1974,graduated high-school 1970,two years military,two years college.I have become quite rusty in the basics but not to the point that I can't get my point across. Give a man a break,we may
    not have the same level of education,but I do not judge a man by his punctuation or spelling,get over yourself !!

(Monroe County)

As was stated the human mind can correct misspelling, but the lack of paragraphs and structure are what get me.

the run on sentences that never seem to end the lack of capitalization of new sentences the forever gibber that you cant get what the person is actually saying the lack of knowledge that there are other keys on a keyboard besides the ones that have letters or numbers on them it is this that gets my goat the most

(Philadelphia County)

Get Mozilla Firefox; it has a built-in spell checker. I think it may be an add-on, though.

Capitalization, punctuation, and paragraphing is important, too...I'm not going read a long story if it isn't broken up into paragraphs.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast