Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Thumbs up Philadelphia LTCF Misc..

Woo! LTCF: acquired.

Contrary to some peoples' experiences, mine was relatively painless. I applied back in mid-November. I went in yesterday to check on the status, as others who applied around when I did had gone in and gotten their letters/photos in one swoop.

The girl told me that my letter was going to be mailed out this coming Monday, but she pulled it for me, and that I'd be called for my photo in a few minutes.

The entire stay lasted about 30 minutes, and would have been even shorter, but I put my name on the wrong list (it said pick up/approval letter, which _is_ what I was there for), and in the few moments that passed between signing in and being called up, about 6-8 other people walked in.

The photo portion takes about 2 minutes. Then they have you sign a little form with some basic guidelines on it. It no longer says that your permit is only valid in PA, and actually provides you a link on the Attorney Generals site to check current states with which we have reciprocity. I think the URL is

The only thing on the agreement that I didn't like was that it says that I must always, with any contact with a LEO, immediately notify them that I am carrying. If I ask for directions, it seems silly. "Sir, I have a gun, can you tell me which way to Whatever St?" Once a bike mounted officer dropped some stuff out of his trunk, and I let him know. "Sir, I have a gun, I think you dropped a spare tube or two". Silly.

Otherwise...painless. Now, I just wish my Crossbreed IWB holster would get here.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Philadelphia LTCF Misc..

Quote Originally Posted by sfg View Post
    The only thing on the agreement that I didn't like was that it says that I must always, with any contact with a LEO, immediately notify them that I am carrying. If I ask for directions, it seems silly.
    That's just gratuitous disinformation that can be safely ignored.

(Philadelphia County)

Congrats, welcome to the ranks.

It no longer says that your permit is only valid in PA, and actually provides you a link on the Attorney Generals site to check current states with which we have reciprocity.
    This is actually fun news to hear for me as I was the one (as far as I know) who originally called and spoke with the guy responsible for that handout about getting it fixed.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Bucks County)

This seems to be a common occurrence from our Philadelphia members. Does the PPD intentionally hold onto applications until they are checked up on?

I went in yesterday to check on the status, as others who applied around when I did had gone in and gotten their letters/photos in one swoop.

The girl told me that my letter was going to be mailed out this coming Monday, but she pulled it for me, and that I'd be called for my photo in a few minutes.

(Philadelphia County)

I applied the last week on November and have not herd anything as of yet. I even held off in sending my paperwork for the FL Permit. I didn't know if they would conflict with each other or not.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by VariableFeedback View Post
    This seems to be a common occurrence from our Philadelphia members. Does the PPD intentionally hold onto applications until they are checked up on?
    Can't say. I can say when people apply they are advised it takes 8 weeks for approval. Don't wait for the letter. Go check status after 8 weeks and it is ready. Letter never comes.

The change in the form must be 'cause the old one was signed by former commish and retired on the job for years Johnson. Ramsey likely had someone with at least half a brain look at it before he signed the new one.

Does it still give such detailed and useful advice as "use common sense" (as commish Johnson used to tell us)?

(Philadelphia County)

I will scan/post the whole thing later on. My girlfriend has both of our copies, still.

Sam Wise, just go, it's probably ready, assuming you were approved.

-sfg

(Philadelphia County)

Can you call to get the status of the permit at the end of the 8 weeks? The permit office hours are just not convenient as I work in the suburbs. If I'm going to go to the office I want to make sure that it is there. This would be less of a concern if they didn't have this technical issue that may have delayed my permit. I applied Dec 13th.

(Philadelphia County)

They will only update you on the status of your applications in person. However, you can call ahead and be sure the printer is working ok.

(Philadelphia County)

Got my approval letter today, so it seems they do get mailed out at times. Just under 7 weeks from application to approval letter. Now I need to make time to get down there and pick it up. God I hate their hours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast