Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Allowing firearms on campus

Could they finally be getting it?

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...67/1009/NEWS07
    -Remember the Constitution-

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Allowing firearms on campus

Hopefully so. Support your local SCCC. The NRA and other groups would do well to learn from them, as they've gotten 14 states to act on their ideas. That's more than anyone else has accomplished EVER.

(Northampton County)

Misinformation.

Pennsylvania is one of 20 states where it's as legal to carry on campus as it is on the street. There are an additional 6 states where it's legal to OC, but not CC. Utah specifically authorizes carrying on campus.

Just because something isn't banned doesn't mean it's not legal...

While Oklahoma is one of the states where all carry on campuses is currently banned, and this legislation is a step in the right direction, what concerns me is the following, "...to allow students and employees who have law-enforcement or military backgrounds, or who undergo training, to carry concealed weapons on public campuses." In a trend that I've been seeing in other state-level campus-carry bills, there is a creation of a higher class of citizens, those in LE and military, who have more rights than the rest of society.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Lancaster County)

Does anyone there do CCW application drives to get more people to apply? I gather some areas really need it.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    Does anyone there do CCW application drives to get more people to apply? I gather some areas really need it.
    That would be awesome. Set up next to the credit card companies, have people out with clipboards, "I can guarantee you a lifetime of free personal protection, just fill out this form..."
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Allegheny County)

What we need in PA is a law saying schools can't ban CC for students. If I get cought with a gun (I know concealed is concealed) I will be kicked out of there in probably a few hours.

Isn't that how gun control is supposed to work? Take guns away from the law abiding?

(Allegheny County)

I wrote in to the Post Gazette on this topic. I think firearms on campus is perfectly reasonable. There is no way any campus police force (with the exception of perhaps a military college) is in a position to ensure the safety of everyone on the campus. Not unless these institutions abandon their "open campus" policies and set up a guard and metal detector at each entry (which would be extraordinarily costly).

So, if the campus police cannot ensure security why is it unreasonable to allow students to provide for their own? Remember that these students are adults, not middle school children, and should be permitted to make their own decisions regarding firearms. In reality, even if firearms are permitted there will still be the vast majority of people who chose not to carry. Furthermore, the universities themselves can take extra steps to ensure the students that do carry are able to do so safely: enlist their campus police to provide certification to carry on campus.

Firearms on college campuses, if done correctly, can work out just fine. Unfortunately, there is a large contingent in this society that still looks upon firearms as part of the wild west, with no place in modern society.
    - Steve

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson