Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Firearm "lending" in PA

Hey guys, I have a question about borrowing a firearm as a PA resident. What I want to know is, basically, can a PA resident legally borrow a pistol from a resident of another state?

I was always under the impression this was no problem. Then speaking to a gun shop employee yesterday, I was advised that borrowing a pistol from anyone was a felony unless it was a family member. I told the guy he was wrong, he said he wasn't, I left it at that. When I got home, I started researching and it seemed like he was right...unless the borrower has a PA LTCF (CCW).

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/statelaw...tion/penna.pdf

6115. Loans on, or lending or giving firearms
    prohibited.
    (a) Offense defined. No person shall make
    any loan secured by mortgage, deposit or
    pledge of a firearm, nor, except as provided in
    subsection (b), shall any person lend or give a
    firearm to another or otherwise deliver a firearm
    contrary to the provisions of this subchapter.
    (b) Exception.
    1. Subsection (a) shall not apply if any of the
    following apply:
    (i) The person who receives the firearm is
    licensed to carry a firearm under section 6109
    (relating to licenses).
    As based on that, I think as a LTCF holder, I'm good to go. But the only question remaining to me is, does it matter if the lender is from out of state?

ETA: Whole situation:

Thanks guys. Let me lay out the whole situation, maybe you can help me with this.

Basically, I'm a PA resident. My ex-fiancee is a NC resident. She left here in PA a handgun that she bought while in NC. She wants to sell it to me. She is in NC, I am in PA, and she is not likely to be in PA for a very, very long time (no time in the foreseeable future).

So, this thing will need to be transferred at a PA FFL. Is there any way to legally get this thing transferred to me without wasting $50 on overnight shipping to her in NC, and then $50 on overnight shipping right back to an FFL in PA?
    Last edited by PA452; May 20th, 2009 at 11:30 PM.

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: Firearm "lending" in PA

(Luzerne County)

Also check out PennsyPlinker’s http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/596...-question.html thread. He specifically asked about being able to lawfully lend a firearm to someone in another state. I believe the answer was that it cannot be done unless the firearm is fully transfered through an FFL.

Thanks guys. Let me lay out the whole situation, maybe you can help me with this.

Basically, I'm a PA resident. My ex-fiancee is a NC resident. She left here in PA a handgun that she bought while in NC. She wants to sell it to me. She is in NC, I am in PA, and she is not likely to be in PA for a very, very long time (no time in the foreseeable future).

So, this thing will need to be transferred at a PA FFL. Is there any way to legally get this thing transferred to me without wasting $50 on overnight shipping to her in NC, and then $50 on overnight shipping right back to an FFL in PA?