Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default choosing a handgun questions.

i WAS going to build a remington 700, however i do not have decent enough ranges locally right now to make any use of the range of the weapon.

so i am going to get a hand gun, im not beginner when it comes to shooting handguns. i can fire a .357 magnum all day long without a single problem, been there and done it, so im no stranger to kick.

i am trying to decide what handgun to get, i want to keep it around a total of 2000 or less.

i am looking at a desert eagle .44 magnum, .45 springfield 1911, or a glock (tell me which model is should go for in .45)

i am heavily leaning toward the DE, i have always wanted one and from what i have read they are a bit of a pain to clean at first but once you get the hang of it is a breeze. they are also quite accurate due to the fixed barrel.

the 1911 has been my second favorite handgun for as long as i can remember...another one of my "always wanted"...and is half the price of the DE...has anyone ever had any problems with them?

i am not to familiar with glocks, so any input in that category will be helpful.
    i am also looking into the springfield XD...any imput would be nice.

thanks.

Default Re: choosing a handgun questions.

Unless your looking for "just" a range toy go with the 1911 or Glock. They are pretty much the most popular handguns. Glocks arent pretty but serve they purpose fire it till you run out of ammo. 1911's are really nice, you can buy anything and everything for them and they are the most comfortable handgun for me. The Springfields are nice but i dont have any experience with them, that goes for the Smith M&P as well which they make a .45 in it which ive heard is killer. Pretty much get whatever you prefer, thats the bottom line. Oh yea, i used to say that i could shoot a "big gun" all day long but i cant.
    Reputation is what I strive for.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Das Nemesis View Post
    i WAS going to build a remington 700, however i do not have decent enough ranges locally right now to make any use of the range of the weapon.

so i am going to get a hand gun, im not beginner when it comes to shooting handguns. i can fire a .357 magnum all day long without a single problem, been there and done it, so im no stranger to kick.

i am trying to decide what handgun to get, i want to keep it around a total of 2000 or less.

i am looking at a desert eagle .44 magnum, .45 springfield 1911, or a glock (tell me which model is should go for in .45)

i am heavily leaning toward the DE, i have always wanted one and from what i have read they are a bit of a pain to clean at first but once you get the hang of it is a breeze. they are also quite accurate due to the fixed barrel.

the 1911 has been my second favorite handgun for as long as i can remember...another one of my "always wanted"...and is half the price of the DE...has anyone ever had any problems with them?

i am not to familiar with glocks, so any input in that category will be helpful.
    i am also looking into the springfield XD...any imput would be nice.

thanks.

Id go with the 1911, Save a bunch of cash. Money left for Custom work. So, that gun is trully " Yours " I personally Like Kimber 1911's Unique looking. An fire great. Little more cash though...

Any brand/Model gun, Someone is going to have something bad to say. Or some Neg. experience somebody had. Best thing is find what you like best. An follow your gut.

Goodluck on your quest.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W 10mm View Post
    Unless your looking for "just" a range toy go with the 1911 or Glock. They are pretty much the most popular handguns. Glocks arent pretty but serve they purpose fire it till you run out of ammo. 1911's are really nice, you can buy anything and everything for them and they are the most comfortable handgun for me. The Springfields are nice but i dont have any experience with them, that goes for the Smith M&P as well which they make a .45 in it which ive heard is killer. Pretty much get whatever you prefer, thats the bottom line. Oh yea, i used to say that i could shoot a "big gun" all day long but i cant.

=P yea it takes while to get used to them.
    my godfather and i have gone shooting alot and he has a s&w .357 mag revolver...my first about...100 shots or so...out of it were rough then i got used to how to hold it and manage the recoil of it...now its just like shooting a .22 to me...just with a much louder bang

i know the .44 mag will take me a bit to get used to but im willing to go for it...but i still may go with the 1911, such a great gun.

id like to hear from someone who has or has shot a DE before, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Das Nemesis View Post
    =P yea it takes while to get used to them.
    my godfather and i have gone shooting alot and he has a s&w .357 mag revolver...my first about...100 shots or so...out of it were rough then i got used to how to hold it and manage the recoil of it...now its just like shooting a .22 to me...just with a much louder bang

i know the .44 mag will take me a bit to get used to but im willing to go for it...but i still may go with the 1911, such a great gun.

id like to hear from someone who has or has shot a DE before, anyone?
    Oh i love shooting a .357 and can go through prolly 150 rounds of being accurate. I havent shot a Eagle but ive shot Baby Eagles and they were good guns. I have also shot a L.A.R. Grizzly .45 Magnum. Now after about a couple 50 shots of that in a tree the tree was no longer standing tall it actually fell over and almost fell right where i was. I wasnt the only one shooting though, i wouldnt want to shoot that thing 20 times much less 50
    Reputation is what I strive for.

(Fayette County)

Holy Crow! It sounds like my dream come true....

At $2000 you can get some pretty fantastic pieces... you like 1911s? Look at a Kimber Raptor. Or a totally tricked-out match grade Springfield. You can get a wonderful Colt Python/Cobra, hell no need to list MY fantasies. Hell, at that price range you can get just about anything your heart desires, new or vintage! ...you just need to decide what sort of needs you have.