Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Barreling a 1903A3

Hey all, just been a lurker for quite a while, I frequent the Indiana Gun Owners site, and figured I'd ask my question here too.

Anyone have any information on putting a barrel on a 1903A3 rifle? I have the reciever, and am waiting on the barrel. I suppose I'm just asking if there are any special tools required or anything I need to be aware of at first.

Thanks for any help.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Barreling a 1903A3

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeytangofoxtrot View Post
    Hey all, just been a lurker for quite a while, I frequent the Indiana Gun Owners site, and figured I'd ask my question here too.

Anyone have any information on putting a barrel on a 1903A3 rifle? I have the reciever, and am waiting on the barrel. I suppose I'm just asking if there are any special tools required or anything I need to be aware of at first.

Thanks for any help.
    other than an armorers wrench and a good vise block i cant think of anything!

Thanks for the reply, I was hoping it would just be that and the headspacing gauges to complete this. It just seems like once I plan out a project, I'll get it going and I am missing a small part or bit of information.

I appreciate it.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeytangofoxtrot View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I was hoping it would just be that and the headspacing gauges to complete this. It just seems like once I plan out a project, I'll get it going and I am missing a small part or bit of information.

I appreciate it.
    as far as i know, and i could be completely wrong on this, and someone WILL be along to correct me if i am, but i believe as long as youre getting the barrel with a pre-installed extension, headspacing isnt an issue, or..that could be if youre ordering a pre-barreled upper...idk., just something floating around in my head.

Yeah, I'm still gathering information on the whole process. I've come across a bolted reciever, and ordered a new barrel from Numrich. I may just go look for some advice from a local smith. If it's gonna cost a ton, I'll just have him do it.

This is a restoration project, I'm bringing an old, beat up reciever back to life. It may not be original parts, proofs, or marks, but it will be back into the shape of an old warhorse. Plus it gives me a winter project.

Even if you had the receiver wrench, and a barrel vise, you would be very fortunate if the barrel has the correct headspace.
    You will need to check that upon assembly. It can be checked for headspace before being torqued down.
    If you have the barrel, and receiver, and they are already for the smith to assemble, as long as he doen't need to do much to assemble, he won't charge a lot. A lot of these replacement barrels come "short chambered", and the smith can hand ream the final fitting after the barrel is already assembled to the receiver.
    Lathe time is where the really exspensive work starts.
    Good luck on your project.

(Delaware County)

I used a gunsmith install the new barrel for mine to ensure I had proper headspace, etc. He also remounted the front sight and test fires to ensure no problems.

He's great

John Andrewson 2300 Grasslyn Ave. Havertown PA 19083 610 446 0940

He was restoring a Brown Bess musket when I picked up my SPringfield.

The barrel is one of the 4 groove ones that Numrich is selling at the moment. I assume it won't need anymore work, but I think I'm gonna take it to the local smith and see what he thinks. Thanks for the help guys.