Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Smith and Wesson mod 19.....why is pinned and recesssed good?

My local shop owner called me today. He knows Im looking for a nice 357 with 4 inch barrel but just cant bring myself to lay down 1100 for the Colt Python he cant seem to move. Being the Colts owner will not budge on the price he told me he just got the next best thing in on trade. It is a S&W model 19 manufactured in 1980. He said the trigger feel rivals the Colts and it is clean as can be. He made a big deal of telling me it was the last year they "pinned and recessed" them and I should get down to see this one. I had my own customers lined up at my job so I couldnt talk much and when I called him back he was closed up for the day. My question is why is pinned barrels and recessed cylinders good? Also is 420 a decent price for this gun? Once again its on the low end of gunbroker listings but I dont know if thats a good place for comparissons. Thanks, B

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Smith and Wesson mod 19.....why is pinned and recesssed good?

Without seeing it is purely guessing what it is worth. If the bluing was very good to excellent, target grips in very good to excellent, and lockup/timing are solid then yes, it is worth $420. Check the topstrap just above the forcing cone for flame-cutting and to what degree. If just a lil line is there, then it's ok. If it looks as if a blow torch has left it's mark, then maybe there's an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    My local shop owner called me today. He knows Im looking for a nice 357 with 4 inch barrel but just cant bring myself to lay down 1100 for the Colt Python he cant seem to move. Being the Colts owner will not budge on the price he told me he just got the next best thing in on trade. It is a S&W model 19 manufactured in 1980. He said the trigger feel rivals the Colts and it is clean as can be. He made a big deal of telling me it was the last year they "pinned and recessed" them and I should get down to see this one. I had my own customers lined up at my job so I couldnt talk much and when I called him back he was closed up for the day. My question is why is pinned barrels and recessed cylinders good? Also is 420 a decent price for this gun? Once again its on the low end of gunbroker listings but I dont know if thats a good place for comparissons. Thanks, B
    Can't help you on the pinned part, but that sounds like a good price for a 19.

(Centre County)

When he says pinned and recessed he means:

The barrel, after it was turned in and the cylinder gap was set, a pin was inserted through a hole through the frame and the barrel. This insures that that barrel will never move. Many people see that as a big plus.

Recessed means that the cylinder and the extractor has been counter sunk so that when a round is in the cylinder the rim is flush with the back of the cylinder. If you load it up and close the cylinder and look through the rear of the frame, you won't see the case rim protruding. Again, many people like this feature, it does add the the overall appearance of the gun.

Many people consider the pinned and recessed Smiths to be the better quality guns that S&W made.

$420 is not a bad price at all if it is as good as the dealer says it is. The Model 19 is a nice gun.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    When he says pinned and recessed he means:

The barrel, after it was turned in and the cylinder gap was set, a pin was inserted through a hole through the frame and the barrel. This insures that that barrel will never move. Many people see that as a big plus.

Recessed means that the cylinder and the extractor has been counter sunk so that when a round is in the cylinder the rim is flush with the back of the cylinder. If you load it up and close the cylinder and look through the rear of the frame, you won't see the case rim protruding. Again, many people like this feature, it does add the the overall appearance of the gun.

Many people consider the pinned and recessed Smiths to be the better quality guns that S&W made.

$420 is not a bad price at all if it is as good as the dealer says it is. The Model 19 is a nice gun.
    EXACTLY right!
    Many will pay more for P&R guns.
    I have been looking for a 2 1/2" model 19 for 2 years, I havent seen one in real nice shape for under 500.
    Then last week I saw this one and it tiook about 3 seconds to take it at 400 OTD.
    If the one he has is sound, Look at the forcing cone, And timing good. Get it and be happy with a fine firearm!

Peter