Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Full auto for law enforcement.

What does this mean to LEO's? Does that mean a police officer can purchace newly manufactured full auto weapons or is it for departments to order? Any clarity would help =)

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Full auto for law enforcement.

I can buy a full-auto rifle since I am a LEO. However, the rifle belongs to the department and remains with the department when I leave or I can sell it to another officer.

In order to purchase a full-auto rifle I need a department letter stating that the rifle will be used in the performance of my duties as a LEO.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    I can buy a full-auto rifle since I am a LEO. However, the rifle belongs to the department and remains with the department when I leave or I can sell it to another officer.

In order to purchase a full-auto rifle I need a department letter stating that the rifle will be used in the performance of my duties as a LEO.
    you should convince your chief that aa-12 auto shotguns should be issue in case of bear riot (or other excuse like for fundraiser events because it could be leo's duty to have charity to serve the people as part of the protect and serve) then your department can invite us all up for a charity shoot, so we can all have fun and help support the fine town of willks barre... It would get a lot of donations and help out people... i'd pay good money to be able to shoot an aa-12 auto shotgun or glock 18... pretty pretty please...
    my goal: to get every good person in the philly region responsibly armed.

(Luzerne County)

I bought my own personal (semi-auto) Bushmaster a few years ago. I could have went for the full-auto, but why?? LOL.....I could say I saw the price increase of ammo coming!!

We recently picked up three brand new Bushmaster's for patrol use, and they are semi-auto. I really don't see the need for a patrol officer to have a full-auto rifle. At least our rifles will be in our vehicles.

The town next to me, Edwardsville.......has surplus full-auto M16's, however........they, along with their shotguns are locked up in the chiefs office. Great place for them. I did hear that they are planning on putting the shotguns back in the cruisers.

(Bucks County)

these people think different.

I know it's kind of pointless for leo's to use fully automatic machieneguns if they can shoot accuratly with semi auto, and it has nothing to do with the "protect" of the protect and serve, but trying to have full autos for police charity shoots would be awesome and would raise a lot of money. having a "support our law enforcement and troops" shoot would be fun, letting guys like me shoot m16 or aa-12 while supporting the police and military. I can't beleive places that want to restrict citizens' rights the most feel the need for full auto for their police. If they gave the law abiding citizens the right to carry, they would have a lot of people to stop a criminal faster than a small team of police patrolling a big city. I'm glad PA has right to carry. I wish they recommended a training program for me when i got my permit, as opposed to me having to search for one myself.

(Montgomery County)

actually, you can only purchase pre86 transferrable MGs, as a LEO, or Civilian.
    You personally cannot order a post 86 MG for any reason.

your DEPARTMENT can buy one, and issue it to you, but you yourself cannot order and purchase one personally, even for departmental use, your Chief or other responsible official can order such weapons on department letterhead, but you can't (unless you are the person responsible for ordering such things for your department)

you, as a LEO, can buy small arms sans the excise tax, even banned from importation semis(with approval from ATF), but no full autos.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Luzerne County)

I did state that I would need a letter, on department letterhead (from the chief) in order to obtain a full-auto rifle.

Mike from Gun-Toters, where I bought my semi-auto Bushmaster, was the one who was asking why I don't just go ahead and get a full-auto rifle with the letter. The money for the rifle would have come from my clothing & equipment allowance.

Now, while "my" money might have paid for the rifle, it would have been department property, not really mine.

(Bucks County)

I did state that I would need a letter, on department letterhead (from the chief) in order to obtain a full-auto rifle.

Mike from Gun-Toters, where I bought my semi-auto Bushmaster, was the one who was asking why I don't just go ahead and get a full-auto rifle with the letter. The money for the rifle would have come from my clothing & equipment allowance.

Now, while "my" money might have paid for the rifle, it would have been department property, not really mine.
    well, pitch a full auto charity shoot to your chief... post it on wnep 16... make sure you call it "support our law enforcement and troops". you can set up bin laden and guys in ski masks (generic criminals) for everyone to try to shoot and it is something unique that many civilians never get a a shot at trying full auto... I'd come up there and stay at my paren't house off of 940 and i'd drop a few hundred dollars for the shoot. You could get m-16 rifles so it would be more like our military. Who knows, you could set it up at a fair in the area if you could set up a portable range somehow (i dunno how you'd do that)

(Delaware County)

I do not see the need for local police departments to have full auto weapons.

If the situation is that bad, the National Guard should be called out. At least they have a modicum of training in the use of these weapons.

The great majority of police/criminal confrontations have the possibility of innocents being caught up in the gun fire.

Most police departments are strapped for cash. Purchasing automatic rifles, ammo and training time is a waste of money for the use they will get out of them.

The funds would be better spent on new hires, overtime to keep more patrols on the street, or maintenance of existing equipment.

(Lebanon County)

Ever hear of trigger control. You can put 2-4 rd burst down range. Full auto has it's place in LEA. You should not get one if you cant commit to the proper training ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast