Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Altering a Rifle

I know there are ruglations surrounding the alteration of guns like SKS's. I was just wondering if similar regulations apply to modifying a US made rifle, such as a Ruger 10/22. I'm not talking about mechanical altering - just cosmetic. Thoughts, or a quick reference?
    Thanks!

(Chester County)

Default Re: Altering a Rifle

SKSs have to be modified carefully because of compliance with 922(r) - see here for some info - http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=27678 -

"…(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes."

Since the 10-22 comes with all domestic parts, you're free to modify at will. (keeping in mind laws about short barrelled rifles, overal firearm length, not having automatic operation (intentionally or accidenta), local requirements for magazine round count, etc.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Altering a Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by PureRockFury View Post
    I know there are ruglations surrounding the alteration of guns like SKS's. I was just wondering if similar regulations apply to modifying a US made rifle, such as a Ruger 10/22. I'm not talking about mechanical altering - just cosmetic. Thoughts, or a quick reference?
    Thanks!
    The short answer-No, do what ever you like cosmetically to the rifle.

The long answer:
    IIRC 922r (the section that causes all the parts counting) applies only to imported rifles, and not domestic manufactured rifles. An imported rifle cannot be placed into a configuration that would have rendered in unimportable. The chasing of compliance parts is due to the ATF stating that a rifle is imported or domestic based on the number of imported or domestic parts it contains. Get enough U.S. made parts in it, or remove enough foreign parts and you have an American made rifle that you can then modify with all sorts of wicked evil features like bayonet lugs (remember all those bayonet charges by gang members during the LA riots), really big magazines (cause you know armed robbers love to have a 75 round drum stuffed in their pants), folding stocks (because of all those innocent children being folded up in them), etc.
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.