Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Opinions on the Ruger NRA Mini 14?

Up to this point I have owned only handguns(just got into firearms maybe 2 years ago), I have always wanted a Rifle though. I have held AR's before and ya they look cool and shoot accurate(never shot one though) but I kept my options open for other semi auto rifles. I knew when "The One" got elected, I needed to stop putting off getting a rifle, and decide soon. I came across a NRA model Ruger Mini 14(.223) and as soon as I saw it, I knew I had to have it. For the past 2 months I have been drooling over this thing, I remembered what it was like to "have to have" a certain gun again(I felt this way also with my Beretta PX4 storm when I was picking out my first gun), this NRA Mini 14 called to me.

So after starring at this gun for 2 months on BudsGunShop, I ordered one for $799.99 shipped. It should be at my FFL tomorrow but I don't think I can make it there by 6pm, so I might not be able to pick it up until Saturday. What opinions do you guys have on the Mini 14 or my specific model, the NRA mini 14? I choose it over the AR-15 for a few reasons, the 2 most important are it's actually in stock, and the more important reason, the rifle was calling me so to speak. I have heard it is just as reliable, maybe even more so than a AR, but they are not as accurate. But the intended purpose of this rifle for me is a SHTF gun and a defensive type gun. As long as it can shoot a 3" group at 100 yards with open sights, I do not see what people are complaining about, of course it's not as good as a 1" group with some AR's but in reality, for my purpose, the small accuracy concern is not even a concern at all.

As long as I can hit a human size target at 150 yards or less, that is all I need, a good medium range rifle. This is a defensive/SHTF gun more so than a plinker(even though I can't wait to plink with it!). I would love to hear some opinions on the Mini, the good the bad and the ugly, but being 100% honest is important, too often when it comes to guns, people get over opinionated and talk trash on certain brands(Beretta is one of them) when their opinion is so far away from fact. I am not saying any of you would do that, I am just saying don't feel the need to not knock it just because I already bought it and might get sad Thanks for the opinions, this is my first rifle and am looking for opinions from more exp. rifle owners.
    Last edited by jkroner659; December 16th, 2008 at 10:45 PM.

Default Re: Opinions on the Ruger NRA Mini 14?

You're gonna love it!

It should come with:
    2-20rd mags
    scope rings
    a lock
    allen wrenches
    and a vaucher for another free 20rd mag

It's just a ranch rifle with a Houge overmolded stock with a gold medalion in the grip & a serial number that goes NRA800***.

You'll find it to be as accurate at a 100 yards as the AR (I would say even up to 150 but I can't verify that yet)...but further out your grouping will spread out because it is shorter than the AR. I just tossed a cheap 3-9X32 scope on it (just because that's what I had laying around) and I can hold a nice tight group at 100 yards no problem. I was hesitant to get a Mini for a long time because people said they weren't reliable or accurate...still trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with those people. I'll come back later, I have kids after me right now.
    Last edited by P89; December 16th, 2008 at 08:57 PM.

(Montgomery County)

I think the NRA model has a shorter barrel(16 1/8") than the ranch model(18"???)? I was also attracted by this shorter barrel(remember, this purchase was not intended to be a 300 yard plinker for me)
    Last edited by jkroner659; December 16th, 2008 at 10:39 PM.

(Bucks County)

When a gun calls to you and follows you home you have no other option but to listen and welcome it like a new member of the family. I have more than a few that for no particular reason ended up in my collection the same way - and I would not give them back for anything.

Some don't but I happen to like the Hogue stock on this version. Others don't like the Mini 14 in general but I've always found them a good respectable shooter. I would pick another if going into battle but they are lots of fun at the range. Good caliber too. Only down side is that mags were expensive but I have not priced them lately.

Good luck with it and be sure to post your impressions after you bust her cherry.

Wow nice i went on ruger and saw the mini 30 P and it is a half to get it is calling me so i know how you feel.

Quote Originally Posted by jkroner659 View Post
    I think the NRA model has a shorter barrel(16 1/8") than the ranch model(18"???)?
    Yes, 16 1/8"...but when you get it you'll notice it says "Ranch Rifle" right on top the receiver.

And make sure you clean it first, they come from the factory pretty gritty.

Barrel length has no, repeat no, effect on accuracy, all other factors being equal. Our (Fulton Armory) 16.5" FAR-15 barrels will do under 1.0 MOA, and 0.5 MOA with quality ammo, for example, Hornady TAP FPD.

Regards,

Walt
    Author,
    The M14 Complete Assembly Guide
    The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
    The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide
    The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by P89 View Post
    Yes, 16 1/8"...but when you get it you'll notice it says "Ranch Rifle" right on top the receiver.

And make sure you clean it first, they come from the factory pretty gritty.
    I wish there was a video of how to field strip the mini 14, I heard it was simple but when it's your first rifle it's much easier to watch a video. The instructions are ok, but I still have a question or 2 about field stripping...anyone know of a video? I would like to strip it and lube it with Gun Butter asap when I get it(tomorrow hopefully).

(Pike County)

If it's calling you, you MUST answer!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I have an older 183 series Mini 14. Great gun. Exactly zero problems with it. Was with me one time when I needed a rifle.
    Put a T-6 stock on it a short time ago.
    25 years old and still goin!
    Good luck, and happy holidays!

Quote Originally Posted by jkroner659 View Post
    I wish there was a video of how to field strip the mini 14, I heard it was simple but when it's your first rifle it's much easier to watch a video. The instructions are ok, but I still have a question or 2 about field stripping...anyone know of a video? I would like to strip it and lube it with Gun Butter asap when I get it(tomorrow hopefully).
    It field strips just as a Garand or M14.

Remove the magazine. Cycle the operating rod. Lock the bolt back and visually & physically (with a finger) confirm that the chamber is empty. Release the bolt. The hammer should be cocked at this point.

Pull down the trigger guard; it rotates forward. You may have to unlatch the rear of the trigger guard where it latches into the trigger housing, by pulling rearward on the rear of the trigger guard.

Swing the trigger guard all the way down. Pull the trigger group out of the rifle. Push down on the barrel and stock to rotate the barrel group out of the stock. For basic field stripping, you are done.

Regards,

Walt
    Yes, my first Mini was a 180- when they were new
    Author,
    The M14 Complete Assembly Guide
    The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
    The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide
    The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast