Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Priority: Finish my rifle or new handgun?

With the looming threats of assault weapons bans coming up I am going to be making a decision very soon. My current small collection of firearms includes a custom built AR-15, a S&W M&P Shield, and a Citadel 1911 Compact (that isn't quite reliable).

I have been working on another AR-15 build the past few months with different goals in mind than my other rifle. My other rifle is set up to be more of a precision rifle but it is rather heavy and bulky. My current Build is basically a SHTF lightweight KISS rifle. The only thing I really need to finish the build is a barrel and gas block, stock, and sights and I will be GTG.

I also want to get myself a new .45 that is more reliable than my current 1911. I will most likely be getting an M&P 45.

Question is, after Christmas I will likely be able to only do one of the 2 things. I can either finish my rifle or go with a new M&P 45. The other will be put on the back burner.

With a looming ban and all this talk of gun control laws on the horizon, what would you all do?
    Last edited by rxer311; December 16th, 2012 at 11:36 PM.

(York County)

Default Re: Priority: Finish my rifle or new handgun?

Quote Originally Posted by rxer311 View Post
    With a looming ban and all this talk of gun control laws on the horizon, what would you all do?
    If I were you, I would look into 4 things:

1) A high-cap, double-stack handgun. Glock, XD, Sig, CZ, etc. 9mm, .40, or 10mm. If a ban were enacted, I would expect 1911's and revolvers to be relatively-unaffected.

2) Buy several THREADED barrels. I intend to buy 3 barrels for my AR-- 2 in 5.56 NATO (so I have a replacement THREADED barrel when one wears out years down the road), and one in 6.5LBC or 6.8SPCII for an alternative configuration.

3) Start stocking up on 20 or 30-rd magazines for whatever you currently own, or ever INTEND to own.

4) Buy a couple of extra pistol grips and/or collapsible stocks for any AR build you think you will do (7.62, 6.5, etc) down the road.