Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Otis Gun Cleaning Kit?

Anyone use this kit?

I have the standard rods/brushes and a few boresnakes but like the idea of breach to muzzle cleaning of this kit. The large kit on sale supposedly would fit most if not all firearms which sounds like a worthwhile investment. I could probably cut round patches which may be the only drawback - or maybe someone has figured out a way to use the square ones effectively.?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Otis Gun Cleaning Kit?

I have the deluxe version because it's easier to store than full-length cleaning rods (I hate the segmented ones). I have used their patches, but also have cut my own out of old tee shirts and other white cloth. Now if somebody would invent an automatic tee shirt ripper, I'd be home free.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

I have the civilian 9mm and 45 kit and use it extensively. You dont need to buy their circle patches. All you need to do is cut a hole in the center of regular square patches. Then you can use them like circle patches.

(Lebanon County)

I've used the OTIS kits while deployed and they are really nice. The biggest word of caution I can give is make sure if you are making your own or using square patches that they are the correct size.

I've had more than one rifle come into the shop with the patches stuck in them or the rope broken off from excessive force trying to drag the wrong/to many patches thru at once.

I've only managed to remove it sucessfully one time and that took about 3 hours of creativity. All the others ended up taking replacement barrels.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun." Jeff Cooper

(Bucks County)

They have grown on me.

I think they are great cleaning kits.

Quote Originally Posted by wheeling365 View Post
    I've used the OTIS kits while deployed and they are really nice. The biggest word of caution I can give is make sure if you are making your own or using square patches that they are the correct size.

I've had more than one rifle come into the shop with the patches stuck in them or the rope broken off from excessive force trying to drag the wrong/to many patches thru at once.

I've only managed to remove it sucessfully one time and that took about 3 hours of creativity. All the others ended up taking replacement barrels.
    I concur and have witnessed m16/ar15 rifles with jammed cleaning rods from using too big of a patch. Once upon a time long long ago, I too got a USGI sectional cleaning rod jammed. A few hard taps with a hammer got it out without damaging the rifling (although cleaning rod section was F'ed). Damn these tiny .223 bores! Movie stars just tie knots in their boot laces, dip them in clp, and run them through an AK barrel all day.
    Last edited by em2b96p; November 19th, 2012 at 03:25 PM.