Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ^$%!@% Credit Card Thieves!

I had yet another credit card number stolen this weekend. We arrived in Nebraska on Wednesday and suddenly my Chase Visa card stopped working. I called to find out, and it turns out that within minutes of me buying gas at a Pilot truck stop in Iowa, there was a charge for $0.30 at some campground, and then a charge attempt for over $400 at a walgreens. Luckily the larger one didn't go through, but I still don't have use of that card for the remainder of my visit...

Ugh... what a pain in the butt... seems that truck stop still uses an unencrypted wireless network to communicate card numbers from the pumps to the head end....

Default Re: ^$%!@% Credit Card Thieves!

Damn, that sucks, glad you didn't get hit for a bunch of cash though.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

I flew in to Dallas two years ago to pick up an RV that I was buying and drive back. Flew into Ronald Reagan Airport, used the cash machine there which appeared legit, no scanners on it, and then went to a walmart. Within a few hours of this all, my card was whacked for 10K worth of charges. Some never went through, but it tied things up for a bit.

It's like a rash when it happens. the first charge is small to see if the card still works and then WHAM, there goes your credit limit. In one case it happened to me, it was a debit card, 2 days before Xmas and 4K of my money was on hold for the same reason. I had to fill out paperwork and wait a week to get it back.

I do a large number of purchases via the web and always check out my vendors and watch closely each day online for anything odd. You have to today, this stuff happens so fast.

I just recently made a $2,000 online purchase. AmEx stopped the payment to the shop and called me to verify I had the card and that I made the purchase. After that everything was OK.

A few years back a friend's husband got a call asking if they were using their card at a mall in either NJ or DE. Since both were at home, the obvious answer was no. Transaction stopped. What was interesting was that someone was trying to use the number in person.

An associate I know from Los Angeles was in DC then going on to NY. He tried to use his ATM card at a DC hotel. It was refused. He called BoA and started checking on why. Someone got his PIN and account numbers and withdrew almost $8,000 over several days from the same ATM in CA. He ended up getting his money back, but it took a while.

My favorite was a few years ago at the Daytona 500 race. I was moving between merchandise trailers at a quick pace picking up stuff at the end for some friends at home. I got a call in between purchases.

They asked if i was aware of my card being used in North Carolina and Florida. Turns out the vendors were from different parts of the South so it looked like my card was being used all over the place.

(Allegheny County)

I was on a business trip abroad back in October and just got a call from the company that backs our company credit cards saying that there were some international charges on my card...turns out they weren't where I was at at all. Came to find out about 6 or 7 other coworkers on the same trip all had their cards stolen also and they were being used various places around the world.
    - "If guns are outlawed, only the zombies will have guns"

(Adams County)

my credit is shoot because of thieves.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ehidle View Post
    I had yet another credit card number stolen this weekend. We arrived in Nebraska on Wednesday and suddenly my Chase Visa card stopped working. I called to find out, and it turns out that within minutes of me buying gas at a Pilot truck stop in Iowa, there was a charge for $0.30 at some campground, and then a charge attempt for over $400 at a walgreens. Luckily the larger one didn't go through, but I still don't have use of that card for the remainder of my visit...

Ugh... what a pain in the butt... seems that truck stop still uses an unencrypted wireless network to communicate card numbers from the pumps to the head end....
    $400 at a Walgreen's....that's a lot of cough drops

If you're in the Seward/Lincoln area say "hey" to my two brothers ~thanks..
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Maquis View Post
    $400 at a Walgreen's....that's a lot of cough drops
    More like sudafed!

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by reichebrown View Post
    More like sudafed!
    Ah yeah the crystal meth crowd, forgot about them..
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast