Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default "Titanic" stars donate to final survivor

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - "Titanic" stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet and the film's director James Cameron have responded to a challenge and donated $30,000 to support the last survivor of the Titanic in her last years, a representative for DiCaprio said Monday.

The survivor, 97-year-old Millvina Dean, has reportedly resorted to selling her autograph to pay her nursing home bills in Southampton, the English city from which "Titanic" began its fateful maiden voyage in 1912.
    Dean was only 9 weeks old when her family traveled on Titanic in hopes of beginning a new life in the United States. Her father was one of the 1,517 casualties after the supposedly unsinkable ship hit an iceberg in the Atlantic.

<snip>
    I have just two words for these generous "Stars" who are helping out this woman whose start in life was surviving a disaster which they subsequently made millions from, and is now in need of funds to live what little time she may have left on this world with adequate care.
    CHEAP BASTARDS!
    Their combined donation was $30K? WTF! I know they don't owe this lady anything, but diCaprio probably snorts more than that much up his nose on any given night.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: "Titanic" stars donate to final survivor

< sarcasm >
    ... but England has universal health care. She should be getting the best care there is to be had anywhere on the planet. Why do they need to donate $$ to cover the cost of her care?
    < /sarcasm >
    Last edited by daschnoz; May 12th, 2009 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Even with FireFox's spell check, my spelling still sucks.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by daschnoz View Post
    < sarcasm >
    ... but England has universal health care. She should be getting the best care there is to be had anywhere on the planet. Why do they need to donate $$ to cover the cost of her care?
    < /sarcasm >
    Because the cost:benefit ration is greater than her productive worth is to society.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    ...I know they don't owe this lady anything... [/COLOR]
    They don't owe her anything. I think that's pretty rad of them to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Perkascene View Post
    They don't owe her anything. I think that's pretty rad of them to do that.
    The fact that representatives for one of the donors is coming forward with the info seems to me to state that they are looking for the publicity. If you are going to give a donation and then crow about it make it something worthwhile. Not some stupid pittance.

This would be like me saying I gave $500 to the March of Dimes and acting like that is some huge amount. Sure it's a good chunck of change, but at the end of the day I probably spend more than that in ammo in a couple of months of going to the range.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    The fact that representatives for one of the donors is coming forward with the info seems to me to state that they are looking for the publicity. If you are going to give a donation and then crow about it make it something worthwhile. Not some stupid pittance.

This would be like me saying I gave $500 to the March of Dimes and acting like that is some huge amount. Sure it's a good chunck of change, but at the end of the day I probably spend more than that in ammo in a couple of months of going to the range.
    $30,000 is a pittance? Sheesh, then let me give you my paypal account name. Hell, I'll rep you for $20.

I don't care if they want to brag about it. Unfortunately, the only way to stay successful in Hollywood is to stay relevant.

Christian Bale punches his mom and flips out on people, DiCaprio gives money to old ladies. Gotta do what you gotta do.

$30,000 is a pittance? Sheesh, then let me give you my paypal account name. Hell, I'll rep you for $20.

I don't care if they want to brag about it. Unfortunately, the only way to stay successful in Hollywood is to stay relevant.

Christian Bale punches his mom and flips out on people, DiCaprio gives money to old ladies. Gotta do what you gotta do.
    Did you miss the point about context of the donation? $30,000 is a HUGE sum for you and I. For three people who have made untold millions off the story of this final survivor a combined $30,000 is a pittance. It's all about context.

(Bucks County)

Did you miss the point about context of the donation? $30,000 is a HUGE sum for you and I. For three people who have made untold millions off the story of this final survivor a combined $30,000 is a pittance. It's all about context.

And to the woman laying in the nursing home, it must be earth-shattering.

(Chester County)

Because the cost:benefit ration is greater than her productive worth is to society.
    ROTFLMAO. rep coming when I can.

(Chester County)

And to the woman laying in the nursing home, it must be earth-shattering.
    I'm sure she's very pleased, but it sickens me that Leo's publicist felt their donation was news worthy. They could've easily added another "0" to that amount and not even felt it.

At 17 y/o Hilary Duff donated a quarter of a million to help Katrina victims, you'd think at least a fellow countryman Kate Winslet would cough up enough to make the donation admirable, not laughable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast