Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Ruger LCP vs S&W SW380

I've only recently learned of the LCP. I haven't been hanging around the gun shops and news groups (now message boards) like I used to. I wondered what was so special about the Ruger LCP.

I've come up with a blank.

Sure, it is lighter than my PPK/S. Heck, it is half the weight! And only one round is sacrificed to achieve that. However, back in the last century, I picked up an SW380. Same cartridge as both. Same capacity as the LCP although not subject to a recall due to drop firing. Even the PPK/S, a 1929 design, does not have that problem.

OK, the PP and PPK are 1929. The PPK/S is a PP frame + a PPK slide to deal with the 1968 GCA. Still, it is safe if not light.

The S&W SW380 is modern though. So it has a weird magazine. It is so 20th century. And it totally lacks a slide lock. The "sights" are nothing to brag about either. Nor is the trigger pull which must be partially cocked like a Glock to work.

But it was available since the mid 1990s. How is the Ruger LCP superior?

If it matters at all, I'm looking for a pocket pistol that fits into a 3x5x1 inch box. I also want it to come standard with threading for a suppressor. I don't know of such a gun yet. Maybe I can build one of my own. However, that will take a while if ever.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Ruger LCP vs S&W SW380

Quote Originally Posted by Fudmottin View Post
    I've only recently learned of the LCP. I haven't been hanging around the gun shops and news groups (now message boards) like I used to. I wondered what was so special about the Ruger LCP.

I've come up with a blank.

Sure, it is lighter than my PPK/S. Heck, it is half the weight! And only one round is sacrificed to achieve that. However, back in the last century, I picked up an SW380. Same cartridge as both. Same capacity as the LCP although not subject to a recall due to drop firing. Even the PPK/S, a 1929 design, does not have that problem.

OK, the PP and PPK are 1929. The PPK/S is a PP frame + a PPK slide to deal with the 1968 GCA. Still, it is safe if not light.

The S&W SW380 is modern though. So it has a weird magazine. It is so 20th century. And it totally lacks a slide lock. The "sights" are nothing to brag about either. Nor is the trigger pull which must be partially cocked like a Glock to work.

But it was available since the mid 1990s. How is the Ruger LCP superior?

If it matters at all, I'm looking for a pocket pistol that fits into a 3x5x1 inch box. I also want it to come standard with threading for a suppressor. I don't know of such a gun yet. Maybe I can build one of my own. However, that will take a while if ever.
    it is funny you mention the SW380. When the LCP first came out, I had an SW380 in the shop and when we got the first LCP in I compared the 2 and kinda laughed. Now the LCP does have a nicer trigger but it was OBVIOUS where Ruger got the idea of the LCP from.

It seems that lately guns of the past like the SW380 and the Colt mustang are getting very populer and it appears the manufacturers have noticed. SO who will be the first to come out with a new version of the Mustand Pocket Lite?

It is indeed amusing that many proclaimed the .380acp DOA with the introduction of small frame 9mm's.

I don't carry .380 often these days, but I've always had a soft spot for them. For me the .380 is still the minimum carry caliber and fits a niche.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Bucks County)

The LCP and it's Kel-Tec twins are the best game in town when maximum discretion is required. Decent firepower in a mini, easy to carry package.

(Philadelphia County)

There are 2 reasons...

1. Marketing

2. Marketing

I can't think of the 3rd one, but I think it may be marketing.

Al

(Allegheny County)

LCP and the P3AT are tiny, very light, reliable, and inexpensive. You can get two LCPs for the price of a PPK. And those two LCPs will still be lighter than one PPK. I think the PPK is a more refined gun, it has a DA/SA trigger, exposed hammer, safety, decocker, and all metal.

I've never handled a SW380 but looking at pictures, its just too ugly to own

Quote Originally Posted by offshorebear View Post

I've never handled a SW380 but looking at pictures, its just too ugly to own
    I could say the same thing about the Ruger LCP...I'v held a P3AT but never an LCP. I was all gung-ho about getting one but decided to order this instead... Locked breech instead of blowback, same capacity and only slightly larger....and it is SAO with a much nicer trigger.

(Bucks County)

LCP is locked breech.

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    LCP is locked breech.
    You know, I knew that since I handled a Keltec P3AT but got a little mixed up...I kept thinking about the PPK and P232 with their blowback designs.

(Allegheny County)

That sig looks nice. Its still a lot of money for a 380 pocket gun. I would be interested in a gun like that if it was in 9mm or similar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast